Troopers 2017

I believe the "really cool stuff" is not allowing for much rehearsal or cleaning at all.  Not sure I'd expect much.  IMO, getting rid of the Twister on a football field would be a start.   Those tarps are distracting and I'm not sure what it is they are trying to get one to look at.  Looking at visual scores, it could be that the judges are asking the same thing.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2

It's a balance. The corps needs/wants time to rehearse, sure, but the longer-term interests of the corps require some investment of time and attention into the community, and not during the off-season. Last year, Troop did a parade in Laramie, generated some goodwill and made a few bucks in the process. Pretty standard operating procedure for any DCI corps, I should think. Today they get a full day on the NCHS field.

Are the tarps distracting? Maybe. I haven't seen the show live, yet, so I can't say whether they enhance/detract. Is the Bluecoat's massive jagged staircase distracting? It takes a separate  truck to haul it. It divides the field into 2. Doesn't seem to be hurting them much. If the tarps are an issue, I would think they would be hurting GE, not visual proficiency and content, so I wouldn't look to the performers' visual scores to make a determination. They can be used only on artificial turf and not on natural grass, so the corps has had a mix of shows with the taprs, and without them. I'm not aware of the visual scores fluctuating according to whether the show was held on real or fake grass. 

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

Daave.. Troop is doing everything right by spending 3 days in Casper. Exposure... Incredible donations... Beautiful practice facility... Preparation for the long haul in a static site with incredible support.  Who cares about frickin tarps. 

I must admit I love the corps, marched in the corps and love the corps.  I heard the music last night at the standstill and seen video and pics of the field show.  I believe they have made questionable design choices over the past couple of years beginning with the uniform.  I know, I know they must adapt to the environment to be competitive.  But looking at the recaps they are strong in music and tanking in visual.  After talking with a few of my judge friends who have seen the show the tarps are but one of a few issues.  I look forward to seeing them tomorrow night.  Unlike the Madison thread where several Scout brothers are abandoning the corps because of the direction, I will stand side by side with the Troopers even if I have to close my eyes.

And as a former member, I am sure you can appreciate the connection the corps  should make to its Casper roots and exposing members to the heralded heritage of the corps.  If you are focused on tarps...Then you are missing the point of the experience for the members of the corps.  

The season is a lot more fun when your winning.  This is, after all, a competitive activity.

1 hour ago, Daave said:

Those tarps are distracting and I'm not sure what it is they are trying to get one to look at.

I agree. Really like their show otherwise.

I saw Troopers a couple weeks back in Lisle. I agree that the tarps add nothing, and are kind of a distraction, because it is not obvious why they are there. I contrast this with Bluecoats' more successful use of tarps at the corners of the field, where they become visual focal points for the drill, and help frame the center stage.

That said, Troopers sounded wonderful, and they have a certain esprit de corps that always makes viewing them a happy experience. The crowd was definitely on their side. 

• Like 2

Lots of action across Kansas and Oklahoma this week involving just about everybody, except Troopers.

Troop got to Texas directly after the Denver contest Saturday, and isn't scheduled to appear in a contest until Thursday, July 20, in Benton. Five days off. Not even Blue Devils are scheduled to have as lengthy an unbroken amount of rehearsal time between now and Indy. Those of us in Troop Nation are wondering what they'll do with that time.

At Benton, Troop has a favorable spot -- directly following Mandarins and Colts. Of course, appearance order is a mysterious and fickle thing, but this week seems like the best opportunity Troopers will have to install and polish whatever improvements they plan to make. As for me, I'm hoping for more volume all the way around. The percussion is playing well -- have outscored Scouts, Crossmen, Academy and others this season -- but I'd love to hear a bit more rumble from them. Brass, too, sounds balanced, and is still working to pin down some tricky handoffs at challenging tempos, but at Denver I got the feeling they are holding back a bit. Not feeling the same power from TroopBrass as I've felt in recent seasons.

BTW, does anyone know what the deal with Troop's Denver score was? They were announced in the stadium as a 69-something, but later the score was updated to 70.something.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman