Why only 5 mini corps this year?

BAH! there's lost audience connection, which will turn into lost revenue.

make a real app or website viewable on a phone. get the audience involved. people remember that sort of stuff.

change the rules to more align with SoundSport... (though between you and me, the good ol types will hate seeing saxes and trombones on the stage) But then those groups have another show to add to their schedule and DCA might gain a few more fans out of it.

Given the shoestring mom-and-pop operation that DCA really is, would they have the resources to create an app like that? Would the DCA corps agree to spending the $$$ for such an effort?

You make a good point. Mini corps is now, and has always been, a great way to get folks exposed and involved in the hobby in a rather low cost way. To grow drum corps, as happened with CorpsVets. My personal experience in mini corps would suggest that DCA doesn't see it that way. Too bad to, because it's a great idea.

Mike Covell,

Ghost Riders

Again, DCA does not care to do anything with this. I have been through this for years. I am still wondering had Star won in 2013, would they have done the exhibition that we did not get to do.

We were doing this before Soundsport and WGI winds (conceptually) and I remember Dan Acheson coming to DCA to observe the mini corps show. The next year DCI was offering Soundsport as an alternative.

It is what it is. Not as much fun as it used to be for me.

DA

Given the shoestring mom-and-pop operation that DCA really is, would they have the resources to create an app like that? Would the DCA corps agree to spending the $$$ for such an effort?

I don't think the website cost much to operate. The karaoke leagues entire business model is to make everything as cheap as possible, to maximize their return on participants entry fees. (usually about $60 for a 6 week season) i think they operated it through GoDaddy.com it was something like https://dk.unitedkaraoke.com

the app already exists. its just a matter of setting it up for voting.

Would it be cheaper to set up an app for voting or to pay 5 guys in matching shirts to sit there for a couple of hours and give their opinions at the end?

Mike Covell,

Ghost Riders

I think you can get both and have one assign the Gold/Silver/Bronze/Plywood rankings like SoundSport gets. And the others, become the entertainer award. Because I think there's a bit of benefit to having trained eyes and ears give feedback. As well as the masses handing out a "Best in Show"

Would it be cheaper to set up an app for voting or to pay 5 guys in matching shirts to sit there for a couple of hours and give their opinions at the end?

Mike Covell,

Ghost Riders

They pay them now? Was not the case back when this whole thing was initiated.

• Like 1

For all of the fluctuation in attendance, there are still fans of both venues that come to DCA for just that! Rather than rent bleachers, DCA would be better off moving the venue to a school gym. A basketball court is within the 30 yard x 20 yard guidelines set up by SoundSport, and would be consistent whether the show was in Rochester or Harrisburg, or Atlanta, or anywhere else. It would also be a whole lot cheaper than the Riverside Convention Center.

Speaking of venue options . . .

One thing that's annoyed me (somewhat) about the Mini Corps event the past three years, that I didn't notice at Sound Sport this year, is that, perhaps because the beverage service is in the same room as the performance, there's a lot of noise from people talking in the back/sides of the space as the shows are going on. It's one thing to be hearing cheers and chatter about the the performances underway (really that's a standard part of the drum corps experience) but quite another to be hearing what sounds like a lot of random conversations from people who apparently have no interest in the performers onstage.

That said, there were more people (I mean those in seats not the chatterers) watching Mini Corps at DCA than watching Sound Sport at DCI.

they'd need to rent bleachers or something for it. I still think that if you did either alumni spectacular or the mini corps as a festival with food trucks and beer you'd have a sweet event that would really entice people.

put up some banners. make it look like you really care and want these groups to foster.