Troopers announce entire Brass staff for 2017!

There are other music educational programs besides Boston Crusaders...oh and btw...Boston is holding recruiting camps in Boston...Dallas...and Tampa...

Hyde Park, MA – Inspire Arts & Music will bring a new world percussion program (Latin American and African influenced drumming) to school children grades K through 8.
Partnering with the Hyde Park Community Center in Hyde Park, MA, Inspire Arts & Music has launched a new program called HpYPE (Hype Park Youth Percussion Ensemble). The class will be directed by Ben Paulding, an American percussionist who extensively lived in Kumasi, Ghana, drumming on national television for the Ghanaian President and the country’s top traditional chiefs and queen-mothers. In West Africa, Ben had over 200 performances with internationally acclaimed drum and dance ensembles including the Centre for National Culture, the Ashanti King’s Fontomfrom Ensemble, and the Nsuase Kete Group.
HpYPE was designed to explore different cultures, music and instruments from around the world and is combined with the students’ coursework in social studies, math, science, and language arts. For example, students will become familiar with mathematical concepts through the interpretation and modeling of complex rhythms and polyrhythms and will learn how musical tones can be expressed as whole numbers and fractions. Through this program, children are encouraged to listen, interpret, and communicate as they transfer aural and written drumming instructions into their own playing. IAM’s goal with the World Percussion Program is to bring the joy of drumming to children of the Hyde Park Community Center, regardless of economic background, in order to help them better understand the world around them.

Right, so since we're talking about drum corps and not parent organizations, they still hold their camps in Florida (aside from the satellite audition camps, as you will notice I did mention).

Edited by Musicman1084

Right, so since we're talking about drum corps and not parent organizations, they still hold their camps in Florida (aside from the satellite audition camps, as you will notice I did mention).

You can't just discount parent organizations..yea!..ascend performing arts..blue devils parent organization etc...it is not all about drum corps anymore...and the smart organizations have realized this...we don't live in bottle...so camps are in florida?...where do you think the yankees have camps in the winter?...besides Boston has move-ins/spring training in Vermont...your point is full of holes like swiss cheese...LOL

Edited by Liahona

You can't just discount parent organizations..yea!..ascend performing arts..blue devils parent organization etc...it is not all about drum corps anymore...and the smart organizations have realized this...we don't live in bottle...so camps are in florida?...where do you think the yankees have camps in the winter?...besides Boston has move-ins/spring training in Vermont...your point is full of holes like swiss cheese...LOL

I don't understand the need to get so defensive about a valid point to the original topic, nor do I understand how my point is full of holes when considering the original topic. The original point was "Getting great staff to take frequent trips to (and/or extended stays in) that region was a challenge for a long time." When it was pointed out that the Troopers had moved their camps, I simply pointed out that Boston had the same approach (though I guess the part I did miss is that the Troopers still have their regular camps in Wyoming, so poor comparison there). The recruiting is largely done away from Boston, save for the audition camp, and the staff flies into Florida. The conversation never had anything to do with the parent organizations, just the corps' camps. But my point is the one that has holes in it?

Anyway... back to the Troopers...

Edited by Musicman1084

I don't understand the need to get so defensive about a valid point to the original topic, nor do I understand how my point is full of holes when considering the original topic. The original point was "Getting great staff to take frequent trips to (and/or extended stays in) that region was a challenge for a long time." When it was pointed out that the Troopers had moved their camps, I simply pointed out that Boston had the same approach (though I guess the part I did miss is that the Troopers still have their regular camps in Wyoming, so poor comparison there). The recruiting is largely done away from Boston, save for the audition camp, and the staff flies into Florida. The conversation never had anything to do with the parent organizations, just the corps' camps. But my point is the one that has holes in it?

Anyway... back to the Troopers...

Just to clarify further, they haven't had camps in Wyoming since 2014 (or January 2015). Even now on their site they have the dates and locations for all their future camps, with them all being in Mesquite Texas. Move in have been in Indiana since 2012 (and part of 2011).

From what I can tell most corps have pretty extensive tech staffs and people that come in and out, they're just not all announced.

I've recently learned that a lot of corps are trying to build up larger staffs so that people don't have to spend the entire summer on the road with the corps. A lot of these guys are still in college/have regular jobs/have families, so it gets harder to commit to a 2-and-a-half-month road trip.

There hasn't been a camp in Wyoming since 2014, I believe. All things considered, they are the Casper Troopers because that's where the post office is and little more at this point. Where one comes down on the significance of this is up to the individual, I suppose.

All of their camps are in Mesquite Texas before moving to ST in Lebanon, IN according to the website.

One reason there hasn't been as many camps in Wyoming is because all of the schools they normally stay in have been under major construction. Both in Casper and Cheyenne.

The other thing to consider are the accommodations in Lebanon, IN. Nobody in Wyoming is offering them an all days facility like they get there. Plus it puts them in a prime spot to begin the tour.

One question I have is, why do people get so passionate about where the corps rehearses? I would think the complaint would be more about why there aren't more performances in Wyoming. Then I wold blame DCI not the Troopers. DCI makes the tour.

Edited by TroopALoop

It's pretty simple. You go where the talent is, or wants to be.

• Like 1