Crossmen 2017

As with others, I am baffled by some of the scores.  I was concerned when I knew that they were going on before INT.  But, to have them spend three days cleaning and have such a tiny score increase is strange.  Was the fact they followed Academy a factor?  Were the judges afraid to take the scores too high?

One of the percussion judges actually put them in 7th.  Anyone know if that was the field judge or the one in the stands?

For their brass score to be exactly the same as it was on July 4th is just wrong.

Anyway, these are the cards the corps has been dealt.  They just have to keep working.  In the show that determines San Antonio line-up, they go on between Academy and Blue Stars, but with no INT between them and Stars.  The gap is just 0.5.  It's do-able.

But, because it's their home show, Phantom goes on last.

I still feel optimistic. I really don't see Phantom's show holding it's weight to the end of the season. IMHO it's up there with the worst they've every put out. Don't get me wrong, IMO Crossmen's show is no classic either, but I think it has more meat than phantom. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

As with others, I am baffled by some of the scores.  I was concerned when I knew that they were going on before INT.  But, to have them spend three days cleaning and have such a tiny score increase is strange.  Was the fact they followed Academy a factor?  Were the judges afraid to take the scores too high?

One of the percussion judges actually put them in 7th.  Anyone know if that was the field judge or the one in the stands?

For their brass score to be exactly the same as it was on July 4th is just wrong.

Anyway, these are the cards the corps has been dealt.  They just have to keep working.  In the show that determines San Antonio line-up, they go on between Academy and Blue Stars, but with no INT between them and Stars.  The gap is just 0.5.  It's do-able.

Going on after Academy should have helped their score and stars going on after phantom should have hurt their score in theory. I don't think INT has much of an impact as the prior group. Out east they had groups nowhere near them pushing their scores up because they were that much better than the group before them. Now they are in groups with the corps around them so the head to head should clear where they stand in the next couple days. I love the music of this show but the props IMO muddy the field for the visual ideas except when they are in the front left corner. Definetly a different direction from previous years that can get more points if the visual effect comes out more. 

2 hours ago, ComeHomeShane said:

I still feel optimistic. I really don't see Phantom's show holding it's weight to the end of the season. IMHO it's up there with the worst they've every put out. Don't get me wrong, IMO Crossmen's show is no classic either, but I think it has more meat than phantom. 

Better show? I can agree. More meat? Disagree

17 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

As a person that travels as a volunteer with the Corps I would like to comment on the days leading up to Minneapolis. The corps rehearsed on the 5th , 6th and 7th in Massachusetts, Buffalo and Michigan City . All 3 days rehearsals were very productive though as anyone who has marched knows 9-10 hours traveling for 3 days straight will wear you out quickly. On the way to Indiana the brass bus broke down in Ohio which cost the corps time to condense from 3 to 4 busses so also a shorter amount of rehearsal time plus the fact that there were heavy storms in Indiana which left the fields unusable so they were able to get a small bit of individual sectional movement and brass work in but with another long bus ride to Minneapolis on the night before the show I think the MM's were pretty gassed. The results of the show in Rochester is a better reflection of where this corps is and with good weather and a solid week in Iowa leading into DeKalb I expect a quality performance from the Corps

• Like 3

Does anyone know Crossmen's practice schedule for today and/or tomorrow in Huxely, IA?  My daughter has become a fan since we saw them in Whitewater.

1 hour ago, mwalter said:

Does anyone know Crossmen's practice schedule for today and/or tomorrow in Huxely, IA?  My daughter has become a fan since we saw them in Whitewater.

You may want to ask the corps on their Facebook page.

2 hours ago, mwalter said:

According to their Facebook page, they are practicing today at Ballard High School, in Huxley, IA.