Crossmen 2017

On 8/9/2017 at 10:11 PM, philvett said:

So, I never heard if the judges hit the score hard for a poorly played solo or solo's.

It is hard not to feel sorry of the intro soloist when he cannot perform the music.

As well as the french horn barley eeking out the correct pitch.

I am at a loss wondering if this is the elephant in the room or am I correct.

I also agree that we can all hope they fix the dead spots and even add complexity to the trumpet lines.

We also see only a few spots with up tempo complex formations.

The ending is the "ok, finally we get speed and complexity" but only for a bit.

Then entire ending feels premature and not set up well.

Oh well, lots to say from the arm chair spectator.

Thanks for the input. Lets not forget these are kids we are talking about . Trying their hardest. 

• Like 2

Let's acknowledge this:

The score the 2017 Crossmen got in semi's is the highest they have gotten since 2002.

So, whether they beat the Blue Stars or don't beat the Blue Stars, close on Phantom or not, let's acknowledge this is one #### good drum corps.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Let's acknowledge this:

The score the 2017 Crossmen got in semi's is the highest they have gotten since 2002.

So, whether they beat the Blue Stars or don't beat the Blue Stars, close on Phantom or not, let's acknowledge this is one #### good drum corps.

amen

• Like 3

4 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

Let's acknowledge this:

Thanks for looking it up, I knew it had to be a while since they got this close to 90. It'd be rad to see an 89 tonight! 

• Like 1

Another Crossmen season is in the books and I want to say it was a pretty successful season.  The way drum corps history goes, years from now, all that people will remember is 11th place.  The context of that and all that led up to it will probably be forgotten, except by a few people who were there.  That's sad.

I marched in the 1978 corps which is straddled with its 9th place in Finals, that obliterates an entire season in 6th Place, including preliminaries.  It was a choke performance of epic proportions.  

So, let's put some context to 11th Place.  First this could just as easily been 10th Place. These two corps had been neck and neck all season.

The other difference is how Boston bought a "big deal" staff and leapfrogged to 6th.  Blue Stars and Crossmen weren't worse corps this year.  In the case of Crossmen, I thought they were a tad better than last year.  They weren't even close to Blue Stars last year and this year, they were close.  Both corps were also closer to Phantom in the end.

This year's show "Enigma" was a very challenging show to put on.  When I first saw them rehearse it in early June, I saw immediately that learning a drill AND having to move around those big props around every single ensemble rehearsal was going to require stamina and extra hard work.  Many corps only have to worry about their own dots.  I remember an instructor telling them each prop had to be in an exact position or someone was going to trip and get hurt.  One more thing to think about.

But, they did it.  I don't think they ever got credit for the difficulty of that.  It was a bold decision on their part given their rather sparse prop show of 2016.

For many years, it was an impossibility of Crossmen making finals.  Then, we moved into the "are they going to make finals or not" years.  We're out of that phase.

If any marching members of 2017  are reading this, I hope you listen to your heart about your finals performance.  You're feeling about it is the only truth and I hope that truth is a good one.

When all else is gone...

On to 2018.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Another Crossmen season is in the books and I want to say it was a pretty successful season.  The way drum corps history goes, years from now, all that people will remember is 11th place.  The context of that and all that led up to it will probably be forgotten, except by a few people who were there.  That's sad.

I marched in the 1978 corps which is straddled with its 9th place in Finals, that obliterates an entire season in 6th Place, including preliminaries.  It was a choke performance of epic proportions.  

So, let's put some context to 11th Place.  First this could just as easily been 10th Place. These two corps had been neck and neck all season.

The other difference is how Boston bought a "big deal" staff and leapfrogged to 6th.  Blue Stars and Crossmen weren't worse corps this year.  In the case of Crossmen, I thought they were a tad better than last year.  They weren't even close to Blue Stars last year and this year, they were close.  Both corps were also closer to Phantom in the end.

This year's show "Enigma" was a very challenging show to put on.  When I first saw them rehearse it in early June, I saw immediately that learning a drill AND having to move around those big props around every single ensemble rehearsal was going to require stamina and extra hard work.  Many corps only have to worry about their own dots.  I remember an instructor telling them each prop had to be in an exact position or someone was going to trip and get hurt.  One more thing to think about.

But, they did it.  I don't think they ever got credit for the difficulty of that.  It was a bold decision on their part given their rather sparse prop show of 2016.

For many years, it was an impossibility of Crossmen making finals.  Then, we moved into the "are they going to make finals or not" years.  We're out of that phase.

If any marching members of 2017  are reading this, I hope you listen to your heart about your finals performance.  You're feeling about it is the only truth and I hope that truth is a good one.

When all else is gone...

On to 2018.

Maybe we will see both pass PR next year. They have slowly been getting closer every year. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...