Crossmen 2017

300+ just sounds like a big number...most top 12 corps get more than double and even triple or more that number between all there camps....makes me wonder why some non top 12 corps have a hard time filling their roster with all that potential talent out there...there should be some sort of catch basin for all those that don't make the cut....but that idea is probably not practical as I'm sure that a lot of the kids are just going to the corps that the only want to march and don't want to go anywhere else...of course that is speculation on my part as well...

You've seen a corps with over 900 auditionees?

300+ just sounds like a big number...most top 12 corps get more than double and even triple or more that number between all there camps....makes me wonder why some non top 12 corps have a hard time filling their roster with all that potential talent out there...there should be some sort of catch basin for all those that don't make the cut....but that idea is probably not practical as I'm sure that a lot of the kids are just going to the corps that the only want to march and don't want to go anywhere else...of course that is speculation on my part as well...

Oh, its a great number, to be sure!! And I'm sure (at least I hope) that they and most other corps getting huge numbers recommend people who don't make the cut elsewhere that struggle to get those kinds of numbers. I will say, though, also, that if I were recommending some place for someone to go, I would want to make sure that it is a good experience. Now...some of those corps that struggle to get good numbers, do they really provide a true world class experience? Great instruction, admin, travel, housing, food, logistics, etc, etc? There's so much that goes into providing a quality experience. Definitely looks like Crossmen have that kind of experience down, because they are consistently getting those great numbers to turn out! Look forward to some great things from them this summer.

combined numbers...yes!

combined numbers...yes!

but honestly...the sheer numbers don't mean much

Not in the Southeastern Regional in Atlanta? I thought all World Class Corps were at all regionals?

From DCI.org's announcement a week ago:

"With the Georgia Dome on its farewell tour and set to be closed in the first few months of 2017 to make way for a new stadium, a minor shakeup in the DCI Tour is expected for the final weekend of July splitting corps between events in Atlanta and Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

“We now know for certain that the brand new Mercedes Benz Stadium will not quite be ready for us to use for the 2017 DCI Southeastern Championship,” said DCI Senior Director of Events Development Susan Kuehnhold. “We are currently finalizing details with McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Georgia as the temporary home for the event on Saturday, July 29. This Atlanta-area lineup will be slightly abbreviated with the balance of corps headed to Winston-Salem for an enhanced Tour of Champions series event on Sunday, July 30."

I heard BD was closing in on 1500 for their 2016 auditions. Definitely not unheard of to have 900. Seems like Bluecoats could get to the 1000 mark as well based on their camp pictures.

I heard BD was closing in on 1500 for their 2016 auditions. Definitely not unheard of to have 900. Seems like Bluecoats could get to the 1000 mark as well based on their camp pictures.

I would, of course, expect those kinds of numbers from the top six. I would expect Bluecoats to get besieged this year.

As for the Crossmen, I can quote an observation I read elsewhere:

"When the Crossmen first came to Texas 10 years ago, the only experience camp they had was in San Antonio. This year, they set a new attendance record for their San Antonio experience camp, and this is despite the fact that they now have three other camps in three other cities. The number for this one was right around 300. I would say that business is definitely picking up."

I personally don't know whether the actual counts are a record, but the Dallas camp in which they released a video definitely looked bigger to me than in the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBA8x38ksPg

The Crossmen usually don't get much hype on DCP and I don't expect much now. It seemed like half the people in the Predictions thread last season had them out of the Top 12 and they ended up in 10th. There were signs last year the camps were going really well, but DCP'ers tended to say "meh". Maybe it's better to just surprise people.

Edited by barigirl78

I would, of course, expect those kinds of numbers from the top six. I would expect Bluecoats to get besieged this year.

As for the Crossmen, I can quote an observation I read elsewhere:

"When the Crossmen first came to Texas 10 years ago, the only experience camp they had was in San Antonio. This year, they set a new attendance record for their San Antonio experience camp, and this is despite the fact that they now have three other camps in three other cities. The number for this one was right around 300. I would say that business is definitely picking up."

I personally don't know whether the actual counts are a record, but the Dallas camp in which they released a video definitely looked bigger to me than in the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBA8x38ksPg

The Crossmen usually don't get much hype on DCP and I don't expect much now. It seemed like half the people in the Predictions thread last season had them out of the Top 12 and they ended up in 10th. There were signs last year the camps were going really well, but DCP'ers tended to say "meh". Maybe it's better to just surprise people.

Thanks for sharing this.

Great to hear RCM again, Crossmen version. Now I know where all the tubas were.

I hope someone from Crossmen (or you) has forwarded this link to Castle H.S. band. Suppport for the bereaved isn't over in a month. I think they would appreciate it a lot.

Edited by xandandl

I've taken people to Bluecoats camps (I was marching elsewhere and friends from tour flew in and I housed them) and hadn't seen more than 200 but I would only expect by now they have increased in numbers.

I guess if you average 250 over 4 camps now (what happened to everyone having 3?) that's 1000 auditionees.