Blue Knights 2017

TrueBK

2 hours ago, garfield said:

I'm interested by BK has on their announcement that the show can be seen in four venues this summer when, in fact, they are performing some 30 times this summer.

They will only be seen four times.  The rest of the performances will be "i"nvisible. :-)

So I've been sitting on this show announcement for the past 24 hours and I have some thoughts...

To me, this sounds like a concept-based show like 2012 and 2013 rather than a story-based show as in The Trilogy. I hope my prediction is correct, as I've become sick of BK's vague storytelling, especially after last year's debacle. I also notice that they didn't post a show description unlike in the last 2-3 years, just some vague images. Maybe it's just me, but I like when a show concept doesn't have a description. It implies that there is no single way that we must interpret the show. (Going on a tangent here, but this is partially why BK 2016 as well as Cadets 2016 were failures in my eyes; they gave us specific show descriptions that were not illustrated well on the field.)

Remember how the 2016 show ended with the guard member looking at that guy dressed in silver coming from the mirror? I have a feeling the 2017 show stemmed off of that image.

Glad they're keeping the number of music selections low so that they can do more with them. This is one of the reasons why I love their 2014 show - it stayed very focused in terms of the musical arrangements. The 2016 arrangements paled in comparison because they tried to cram in so many different pieces.

Finally, one element that has set the Blue Knights apart recently is their use of color. Since 2013 (I would even argue 2012) they have used color beautifully and never in the same way twice. I hope that continues in even more unique ways this time.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Remember how the 2016 show ended with the guard member looking at that guy dressed in silver coming from the mirror? I have a feeling the 2017 show stemmed off of that image.

I can think of that and a few other "i"s from the 2016 show (which I personally liked a lot, BTW), so I'm leaning in the direction of this being a continuation of previous shows.  Whether it's an overt or silent sequel may depend on what and how much the organization, staff, and members say about it. 

14 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Finally, one element that has set the Blue Knights apart recently is their use of color. Since 2013 (I would even argue 2012) they have used color beautifully and never in the same way twice. I hope that continues in even more unique ways this time.

My sentiments as well. Coincidentally, I was watching a clip of BK's show " Because" of 2 years ago just last nite on youtube and their closer with the flags coming out with all that  radiant colors was just spectacular, imo.

I don't think it's any secret that BK is striving for the title of Beautiful Corps.  Color has been terrific.  Design elements have been terrific (pulling the silks down behind the mirror half-moons).  So many elements, including the silver guy and mirror, to point to.

And I would say that, in an era where it's harder and harder to just listen to CD's of shows, BK's music has been phenomenal and, I would say, Beautiful, that doesn't require the visual to enjoy.  

The design falling flat and costing them the overall production doesn't diminish my enjoyment of those bright horns and crisp Mapex drums.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2017 at 7:02 PM, garfield said:

Wow, you are surely a negative-Nellie.

I remember darn-near every song from the trilogy, and going back years before.

Maybe it's your attention level and/or memory, and not BK's performances, that are the source of your problem.

I doubt it, but you could be onto something-------bland is toast. This goes back to when they got that person from garfield to do their drill back in the day. 

Edited by E3D

On May 6, 2017 at 11:13 AM, garfield said:

I don't think it's any secret that BK is striving for the title of Beautiful Corps.  Color has been terrific.  Design elements have been terrific (pulling the silks down behind the mirror half-moons).  So many elements, including the silver guy and mirror, to point to.

And I would say that, in an era where it's harder and harder to just listen to CD's of shows, BK's music has been phenomenal and, I would say, Beautiful, that doesn't require the visual to enjoy.  

The design falling flat and costing them the overall production doesn't diminish my enjoyment of those bright horns and crisp Mapex drums.

yes I agree!  I really admire their design concept.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Noticed there hasn't been much chatter about the Blue Knights... this show by far has more substance and I really feel it won't disappoint this season! Unlike this time last year, they have WAY more on the field, about the same as every other corps I'm hearing about, and it's a step up in difficulty in all aspects.  Love the Björk especially, and their opener sets the mood for the show perfectly. Expect a very thought provoking and entertaining show. Wait till ya'll see the uniforms!!...

• Like 4