Is there any DCA presence/options in Texas?

So Big W stay home ,till late August if that ;s how you feel .One least ticket sold is not going to make or Break a show,Now getting back to the topic that was started here ,Its to bad with 4 corps in Texas they didn't hold together,But again Texas is a BIG state which means bus money ,Which I think is what did thoses corps in. Maybe just maybe if there had been one or two other corps in near by states they might have lasted longer . Plus the lost of corps from upstate New York ,the same reasons of Texas ,8-9 hour drive to complete .

Edited by Florida Sun

Topic has been done to death previously. Attempts were made to do so in the past. Was a fiscal disaster when attempted in NC.

After going to 6 contests this season, I've been concluding there actually needs to be less contests. Cut the season to 3-4 weeks in length. Most corps really aren't ready until August, and those that are ready frankly aren't getting any real benefits for doing so.

i'd love to understand the thinking behind this

So, to sum up... to the OP's original request...

What Gary said. Bayou City Blues are the all-age game in town right now in Texas.

Perhaps someday we'll see more again. Probably a topic for another thread, as is the entire "corps not ready for early-season shows" thing. .

i dont want to bring up a sore subject to DCP old timers, but Mr. One Note Samba lamented about getting people to stick down there. Is it a recruiting issue?

• Like 1

Okay, John.

Let's see what's happened. July 4, C2 shows up with an incomplete program. Wins it all as compared to several programs who were very ready in June, and really gained no benefit from doing so.

Lessons learned from this season and from one a couple of years back-

Doesn't matter what you do all season as long as you can kick it in for Championship weekend and step up huge. That is what it is. Show planners now have to plan to just get the show right for Finals and not worry what's being performed in front of the audience for the regular season.

#### shame.

Which leads me to think, why should I travel and see that all summer as I did? Why should I bother knowing the real solid performance will be in Rochester and what I'm seeing is nothing even remotely like what that will be? Maybe THAT is what could be killing things.

Look. I have no kid in a corps, no dog in the fight. But why should I travel 100+ miles one way as I did for most contests and shell out about 150 dollars in tickets this year... and really have it come home this season that I might as well wait to watch the corps in mid-late August if I want to even have an inkling of what the real Championship performance look like during Labor Day.

It is what it is, and while it may prove to be more suspenseful and exciting for a lot of folks... it flat out left me pretty cynical when it all shook out.

#### shame in the thought process. there's far more to the activity than winning.

• Like 1

Okay, John.

Let's see what's happened. July 4, C2 shows up with an incomplete program. Wins it all as compared to several programs who were very ready in June, and really gained no benefit from doing so.

There is benefit to being ready early. At the very least, you impress the audience at the early show, which might help recruiting.

However, there is also benefit to maximizing achievement at finals. To do that, some corps design shows that they cannot fully achieve until then. That is risky, but it can work. Often has worked in DCA.

Better strategy (for both corps and fans) is modular design that presents a seemingly complete, achievable show in early season, with pre-planned mid-season design additions to make the show more demanding and competitive.

Maybe the penalties should be more severe for incomplete shows rather than just timing penalties ... is there anything written on the sheets for presentations that have obvious incomplete segments or omissions per section? ... just curious ... what is the current "short" show timing penalty? ... for that matter, what are the current DCA show timing requirements?

Thanks in advance,

:-)

In response the the OP. Bayou City Blues. http://www.bayoucityblues.com

In regards to the other question posed. How can corps thrive in an area with no shows to participate in? There may be some DCI shows to play in, but the closest DCA show is more than a days drive. Sort of makes it an exercise in frustration and certainly not easy on the bank account. (I do believe that High County Brass has brought this concern up in other posts)

Atlanta seems to be leading the way down south, by providing shows, and corps (beyond DCI). And there's a little pocket of shows and corps in the midwest. But its got to be hard to operate a weekend only corps, when it takes and entire weekend to travel to/from a single show. That severely limits practice time, and raises the operating budget.

There is benefit to being ready early. At the very least, you impress the audience at the early show, which might help recruiting.

Plus, the show sponsor would probably want your corps back the next season, since you've helped that sponsor give the fans their money's worth.

I marched DCA starting in the 1970s... and from a competitive standpoint, it has always been about "peaking on Labor Day weekend." And the corps where I marched had a pretty good track record of doing just that. Cadets2 certainly did it this season.. but they also had a very entertaining show, at least for me. Whether they won or not didn't matter to me... I enjoyed them quite a bit.

But there is something to be said for coming out prepared early. Yes, I know there are all sorts of obstacles for an all-age corps to overcome to do that... and I do appreciate the effort those corps have to put out to overcomes those obstacles.

But... bottom line.... corps being ready, or not being ready, for early-season (and sometimes mid-season) shows goes directly to the marketability, and the future, of the circuit. People are paying to see a good product... in June or late August. If the early-season fans stop showing up... then what is left?

Edited by Fran Haring

i dont want to bring up a sore subject to DCP old timers, but Mr. One Note Samba lamented about getting people to stick down there. Is it a recruiting issue?

It's definitely tough down here in the Austin area. Austin Stars couldn't do it in Central Texas. My old minicorps got to 22 horns and we couldn't get any larger. My new minicorps is struggling to find *anyone* - there are a *ton* of live music options down here, so it's a crowded marketplace.

Mike

Maybe the penalties should be more severe for incomplete shows rather than just timing penalties ... is there anything written on the sheets for presentations that have obvious incomplete segments or omissions per section? ... just curious ... what is the current "short" show timing penalty? ... for that matter, what are the current DCA show timing requirements?

Thanks in advance,

:-)

Al, your post make me think back to the beginning of this past season. Al Katz (who rarely if ever post on here anymore) posted about the Cabs at the beach show. He said that they were having difficulty getting corps to commit to an early show because many corps shows were incomplete and they didn't want a low score because of an incomplete show. If you can't get corps to commit to a show because the show isn't finished, then penalties are a moot point. If you take it a step further, no corps, no show, no money and a shorter season. The Cabs at the beach show turned out to be a judges evaluation show without scores.