"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

Brief review of last night's episode:

I thought there was huge lost opportunity by not showing the score announcements at the Indianapolis show. The quick flash of the positions just didn't cut it dramatically.

Good to see that Santa Clara got a brief shot. Bad to not see even a snippet of the two corps that beat Cadets.

This is a reality show about two corps....Blue Devils and The Cadets. Why are people still complaining that their corp didn't get noticed. This is not a show about drum corp. That's like me saying after watching Hard Knocks on HBO...why are they just focusing on the LA Rams.

Ok, just got through Episode 2 (yeah I'm behind). I marched several years of drum corps and I'm not oblivious to what happens during the summer... however.

The scene half way through with the sound of the beds squeaking - as the parent of a 14 year old, 13 year old and 10 year old, does nothing to want to make me send my kids on tour with a corps. Apologies if this has already been talked about, but my kids won't be rolling with the Cadets if this is what Hop is allowing over there.

(Waiting to get pounced on).

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 1

Ok, just got through Episode 2 (yeah I'm behind). I marched several years of drum corps and I'm not oblivious to what happens during the summer... however.

The scene half way through with the sound of the beds squeezing - as the parent of a 14 year old, 13 year old and 10 year old, does nothing to want to make me send my kids on tour with a corps. Apologies if this has already been talked about, but my kids won't be rolling with the Cadets if this is what Hop is allowing over there.

I have NO IDEA what you just said about "bed squeezing". Are you referring to the dorm rooms they are in during the training season for the Cadets?

The scene half way through with the sound of the beds squeaking - as the parent of a 14 year old, 13 year old and 10 year old, does nothing to want to make me send my kids on tour with a corps. Apologies if this has already been talked about, but my kids won't be rolling with the Cadets if this is what Hop is allowing over there.

Honestly, this scene is the only problem I've had with the show. Aside from the one conversation with the BD snare drummer who just graduated high school, I feel like the ages of these kids/ages of drum corps members in general has never really been discussed on the show, and it's really easy for reality shows to fall into the sexy trap. This scene felt super out of place for anyone who knows the ages of drum corps members, and super in place for the average reality show.

• Like 1

This is a reality show about two corps....Blue Devils and The Cadets. Why are people still complaining that their corp didn't get noticed. This is not a show about drum corp. That's like me saying after watching Hard Knocks on HBO...why are they just focusing on the LA Rams.

First of all, neither Bluecoats or Crown are "My" corps. I'm not saying that we should see a lot of footage about other corps. The brief shot of SC Vanguard was nice to establish the setting of the competition. Otherwise, it comes off like these corps operate in a vacuum. Not good if people aren't familiar with our sport.

A good reality show tells a story. This is supposed to be the story of these corps seasons. Since Cadets were getting beaten, it would have set up the storyline better to at least get a glimpse of who they were getting beaten by and what they were up against.

I acknowledge that there were quite a few ways they could have approached this. Had the season actually become a 2-corps competition between Cadets and Blue Devils, this approach would have been perfect.

I've never seen Hard Knocks, but are you saying they never show any other team on screen?

First of all, neither Bluecoats or Crown are "My" corps. I'm not saying that we should see a lot of footage about other corps. The brief shot of SC Vanguard was nice to establish the setting of the competition. Otherwise, it comes off like these corps operate in a vacuum. Not good if people aren't familiar with our sport.

A good reality show tells a story. This is supposed to be the story of these corps seasons. Since Cadets were getting beaten, it would have set up the storyline better to at least get a glimpse of who they were getting beaten by and what they were up against.

I acknowledge that there were quite a few ways they could have approached this. Had the season actually become a 2-corps competition between Cadets and Blue Devils, this approach would have been perfect.

I've never seen Hard Knocks, but are you saying they never show any other team on screen?

In Ep. 3 they gave placements for all 6 corps at the Rose Bowl show. I haven't seen Ep. 4 yet, but that right there made it obvious there's more than just BD and Cadets.

Side note: I'm still confused why the show made it seem like Pasadena was BD's first show, whereas they did Cadets' first show as their home show rather than doing Indy. If you're going to fudge the details anyways (which I get why, that's fine) why not show Cadets under the lights at LOS?

In Ep. 3 they gave placements for all 6 corps at the Rose Bowl show. I haven't seen Ep. 4 yet, but that right there made it obvious there's more than just BD and Cadets.

Side note: I'm still confused why the show made it seem like Pasadena was BD's first show, whereas they did Cadets' first show as their home show rather than doing Indy. If you're going to fudge the details anyways (which I get why, that's fine) why not show Cadets under the lights at LOS?

In episode 4 , they show Denver vs. Indy opener. Although they didn't say it was a head to head, that might be implied until you see that Cavies were at both shows.

• Like 2

Brief review of last night's episode:

I thought there was huge lost opportunity by not showing the score announcements at the Indianapolis show. The quick flash of the positions just didn't cut it dramatically.

Good to see that Santa Clara got a brief shot. Bad to not see even a snippet of the two corps that beat Cadets.

The only reason they showed SCV was because the BD prop problems were a huge distraction during SCV's show. Pretty sure we wouldn't have seen them otherwise.
  • Like 1

The only reason they showed SCV was because the BD prop problems were a huge distraction during SCV's show. Pretty sure we wouldn't have seen them otherwise.

In other words, it enhanced the story. I believe showing the announcement of the scores at the Indy show would have enhanced the story. There's a certain tension that is built in that situation.

I'm not saying "let's show the other corps" just because I want to see them. I'm just saying I believe it would help the story-telling.