Underrated Shows?

Two shows I thought were underrated from the 1980s were:

1. Cavaliers 1988 - this is a great Firebird Suite production, and I loved the sound of their brass that year. Fantastic show.

2. Star of Indiana 1988 - maybe one of the best ballads of 1987, with a wonderful flugel soloist.  Great arrangements in this show by Jim Prime, Jr.

check them out.

Another that comes to mind...

2001 Spirit from JSU... "Ghost Train."

For my money, one of the best shows that didn't make DCI Finals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Two shows I thought were underrated from the 1980s were:

1. Cavaliers 1988 - this is a great Firebird Suite production, and I loved the sound of their brass that year. Fantastic show.

2. Star of Indiana 1988 - maybe one of the best ballads of 1987, with a wonderful flugel soloist.  Great arrangements in this show by Jim Prime, Jr.

check them out.

I really like Cav's 86 and Star 87!

• Like 1

2005 Crossmen... finished out of Finals... at 14th... ( 84.050 )

Music:.... " Classical Gas"..... " Radar Love".... " So Far Away".... " Paradise By The Dashboard Light "

Crossmen brought the house down at the Semi's at Championships. Huge standing O from the crowd. Biggest ovation of any of the Corps in the Semi's. The fact that they did not appear at Finals, nor make the DVD's, means unless you were there at the 2005 Semi's,  or marched the Corps this season, or saw or heard them, you'll never get to know.

Such is life. But this Corps, this year, sure fits the criteria for " underrated "( or forgotten ) show performances, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

And I will always agree with you 1000000000%.  

it wouldn't let me like your post

nevermind, it did, but a message popped up saying i wasn't allowed to

i win 

Edited by Lance

BD, RE:Rite of Spring. People I know really, really hated the show, but man when they come in with the main theme of Rite of Spring I just can't get enough. Constantly listen to that show.

Madison '15 was one that I really harbor a special spot for as well. Not sure how everyone else took it, haven't seen anything much about it in writing or otherwise, but it's probably one of the most catchy shows out there. I love the groove.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aLittleBird said:

BD, RE:Rite of Spring. People I know really, really hated the show, but man when they come in with the main theme of Rite of Spring I just can't get enough. Constantly listen to that show.

I really loved that show!  Too bad they had phasing issues on finals.  They could have won.  The show was so complex.  When I heard about it my son and I just happened to have a CD of the original re write and played it in the car coming back from Murphys, CA