Underrated Shows?

9 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I gotta add that BD 1998 is very underrated as well. 

Dare I say it's the best WSS show musically? That hornline was crazy, it's a shame the soloists fracked a little. 

Yes another of my favorites!  I love SCV Eureka also.

Just now, Cappybara said:

Dare I say it's the best WSS show musically? That hornline was crazy, it's a shame the soloists fracked a little. 

I think that their mid-season success was riding almost entirely on that musical book.  My recollection of the show was that the thematic material was so cleverly woven and well performed... but the visual was at a fairly low level of impact and difficulty for a group like them.  They never really juiced up visual design through the course of the season.  But that show is one of the few drumcorps performances that can stand alone as an Audio-File/CD listening experience.  Everything about the arrangement seems inevitable... as if the themes and transitions were always meant to be organized the way that they are in the show.  I recall sharing a recording of it with a composition professor of mine at the time when I was in school.  We were acknowledging the many opportunities that Downey was taking advantage of to flip back and forth between the two suites of music... and the way that the musical material was nearly as complementary as the story line.  That opening chamber group was breath-taking.  The only thing that I have heard come close since was the final return of the Strauss material in Crown's 2013 program.  There was a kind of "certainty" or resolve... an impending seriousness to it.  Not just in the music, but in the way that they chose to present it.

Thumbs up for BD 1998!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lithium Nitro said:

In no particular order:

• Colts 2014: Dark Side of the Rainbow - This really seemed like a theatre production and less of a drum corps show but I'm oddly drawn to it, not saying that's what DCI should be, but I think Colts pulled it off this year.  The narrator/scarecrow, Bobby Dunclaf, did an amazing job conveying the story.  Again I'm not saying this is the path DCI should go down but this time it was very good in my opinion.
  • Velvet Knights 1992: Magical Mystery Tour - Part III - This show is just hilarious, the teased SCV bottle dance was cool.  Watch out for turf sharks.
  • Blue Knights 2015: Because - THAT CLOSER.  The closer does it for me and I am constantly listening to it because BK did an amazing job.
  • North Star 1978 - They started off the show playing Star Wars which immediately drew me in, I am a huge Star Wars fan.
  • Oregon Crusaders 2014: Nevermore - This show suffered from a little too much narration in my opinion.  I still love the music and their rendition of Hymn of Acxiom, even though it's overshadowed by Bluecoats playing the same ballad that year. Hometown corps pride!
  • Cadets 2012: 12.25 - Some people hate it? I like it, it brought amazing holiday music to DCI and I think it was executed brilliantly. 

Oregon Crusaders' arrangement of Hymn of Axciom was better than the Bluecoats' arrangement imo. If their talent matched the Bluecoats' hornline, I think people would be humming a different tune (literally)

Also Cadets 2012 is in my top 5 Cadets shows ever. Very underrated indeed

12 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm glad you brought that one up.  I listen to it all the time......totally agree with the comments that have been said about it.  I wish I coulda heard that opening brass ensemble live, cause it sounds like absolute heaven on the recordings.

I believe that show holds the highest third place score record at a 97.7.  

• Like 1