Underrated Shows?

2008 was a special year for Phantom Regiment... pulling off a huge upset at Finals Nite over BD, and the crowd going positively nuts with joy with their production of " Spartacus ".

Sort of lost in that 2008 year of high drama, imo was the Cavaliers ( 3rd place ) production of " Samurai ". I really liked that show then. Sometimes, as the years go by, the show, music, might dull a bit. But for me, thats not been the case at all with this music, show from the Cavaliers. I loved the haunting melody moments in the show, and the  percussion arrangements, with those drums, was very unusual and creative. 'Absolutely loved the sound of the Percussion arrangements across the board that year from the Cavaliers. Very fitting arrangements that fit the show theme of the " Samurai " well. Costumes were awesome. I think, because of the universal accolades that Phantom got for 2008, that this Cavaliers show fits my definition of " underrated ". I could easily have seen this quality show winning it all perhaps if it was not 2008.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

On 1/15/2017 at 7:01 PM, DrumManTx said:

- Lance or someone else brought up Blue Knights 1999 which I agree is outrageously fantastic to listen to (also love that color palette).  The original Trittico show in 1994 was also pretty, very similar but just another nice treatment of it.  

Yeah, that was me. I mention it all the time. 

I loved Madison that year, too, but was a little sad when they bumped BK down a spot. That was a fantastic finals weekend for me. Stayed on campus at UW. 

98 Glassmen were a favorite of mine, too. I still think that show attracted a lot of talent for their awesome Kodaly show the next year. 

18 hours ago, BRASSO said:

2008 was a special year for Phantom Regiment... pulling off a huge upset at Finals Nite over BD, and the crowd going positively nuts with joy with their production of " Spartacus ".

Sort of lost in that 2008 year of high drama, imo was the Cavaliers ( 3rd place ) production of " Samurai ". I really liked that show then. Sometimes, as the years go by, the show, music, might dull a bit. But for me, thats not been the case at all with this music, show from the Cavaliers. I loved the haunting melody moments in the show, and the  percussion arrangements, with those drums, was very unusual and creative. 'Absolutely loved the sound of the Percussion arrangements across the board that year from the Cavaliers. Very fitting arrangements that fit the show theme of the " Samurai " well. Costumes were awesome. I think, because of the universal accolades that Phantom got for 2008, that this Cavaliers show fits my definition of " underrated ". I could easily have seen this quality show winning it all perhaps if it was not 2008.

I absolutely loved this show, and consider it the final production in their dominant run. Everything about it, from musical to visual, was on par with Machine. Solid production. But you're right, it gets overshadowed by BD, Phantom and to some degree Crown from that year.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2017 at 3:55 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

I actually really like the 2007 Madison Scout show. Finals or not, that opener was awesome!

Had that corps not put that show out, we might not have the Madison Scouts. People can criticize it all they want, but those boys kept it going. It took a great deal of character and courage to be part of the 2007 corps.

• Like 1

On January 16, 2017 at 8:23 PM, BRASSO said:

I know I will get 50 lashes for this but after seeing their show I agree with it.  Phantom Regiment just had that Ooomph to their show.  I know I only saw both on video but I was really wowed by them.  I always loved them doing that in the 80's and this one was so good.