Underrated Shows?

it's not underrated anymore since DCI gave it the due it deserved on the Essentials collection, but that 2000 Boston show is incredible and (for me at least) it kind of got lost in the shuffle of other amazing shows that year. It fell out of my mind as the Cavaliers redefined the Top Tier of the activity over those years, but rediscovering it several years later made me wonder how I'd failed to notice how great that show was on a music and drill level.

not that its underrated in the grander scheme, but I'm disgruntled that Cavaliers 00 and 02 got the Essentials treatment, but not 01. I could watch 4 Corners on loop for an hour and not mind, whereas Niagra and Frameworks are Very Good but just don't knock me back as much.

I'll go for another old show: Blue Knights '90.

I loved their beautiful and haunting takes on:

Chichester Psalms

Offertory (from Mass)

I Go On (from Mass)

Sanctus (from Bernstein's Mass)

Agnus Dei (from Bernstein's Mass),

which were perhaps overshadowed by Cadets' versions. BK's take on the show music was exciting and original.

They were certainly in the running for 12th place, and in fact were in 12th place during Quarter Finals by .9 over Dutch Boy.

I'll include a newer show:

Phantom Regiment's 2010 "Into the Light" is a bit underrated.

The music was beautiful, and the visual was very interesting as well. Should have been scored 3 points higher, in my opinion.

Edited by jjeffeory

You don't think 1988 is the most popular Madison show?

And I only thought 95 was underrated because I hadn't heard anything about it until a couple weeks ago (after loving the activity for three years). That's my bad.

From the moment they started 1995 (sop solo), the crowd was SCREAMING all the way through it. 1988's opener was TERRIBLE in Finals...splatting notes, ensemble issues, a loss of communication in spots. In comparison to '95, hardly compelling. "Malaguena" pulled everybody back in (including the 6 judges). I'll say it until I die: they won because 2, 3 & 4 (all within 1 full point) had just enough deficiencies for the Scouts to escape: SCV couldn't blow a single note in tune; BD was nothing but a hot brass line; Garfield co-won the Performance captions but lagged in GE.

Now.. Semifinals? Madison was BALLS. Nobody came close!

A couple that come to mind:

1995 Blue Devils "Carpe Noctem"

1996 Cavaliers "Pan American Sketches"

1998 Blue Devils "One Hand, One Heart"

1999 Glassmen "Empire of Gold" (I think?)

2000 Blue Devils "Methods of Madness"

2000 Carolina Crown " Mask of Zorrow"

2001 Blue Devils "Awayday Blue"

2001 Cadets "Juxtaperformance"

1999 BK is one that's always at the top of my list for underrated shows.

The ballad for that show is in my top 5 all time, and the whole thing was really beautifully performed.

As much as I loved 1999 Madison, I was a little sad in the stands when they knocked BK down to 7th.

Shows that weren't underrated, ever:

97 SCV - That show was killer. The best SCV show before this was probably 1991. First top 3 placement since 1989. I can't think of a more popular show in 1997.

Super innovative, and very well-received. 96 was the year where it really felt like SCV was back, and then we all know what happened from 97-99.

I think (hope) what we're about to see from SCV is going to mirror the precipitous climb they made from 96-99.

• Like 1

Crossmen certainly get the award for most improved that year. I think we might have had 25 horns at the May camp that year. I would love to see a video from our first show in Bayonne.

That beginning though!!! Drums, drums, and more drums, and the basses just ripped those runs!!! Mark Thurston groove machine all the way throughout that show.

Phantom 2003

What in the world is up with this thread???

This has to be very close to the craziest, most nonsensical discussion I've witnessed on DCP (ok, perhaps discounting some of the staff threads and various trollings...); actually it would be hilarious if some of this thread actually *was* a troll... anyways, back to the task at hand:

Regiment 2003 cannot, at any point, be considered underrated. Did you mean "underscored"? Because I'd be with you there.

To repeat what others have said: Shows that *can not* be considered "underrated" in any shape or form include things like:

1995 Scouts

1993 Regiment

2000 Cadets

1999 SCV

2002 Cavies

2012 BD

...etc

Are folks simply thinking of shows that they somehow managed to overlook because it took them awhile to get to certain years? I'd understand that, if I had to name shows in the 70s that were "underrated" I would mostly be guessing since there are quite a few I haven't seen... still.