Where should I march for my rookie year of drum corps? (2017 season)

mcapasso1998

Hello! I'm a freshman in college, and it has been my dream to march drum corps on quads. My dream corps is Bluecoats, but I'd like to prepare for auditions for them with marching somewhere else first. I would most likely plan on auditioning for Bluecoats 2018, but for my rookie season, I've basically got it down to 3 corps: Cadets2, Raiders, or Jersey Surf. I go to college in Connecticut, and I'm from NJ, so I'm trying to stick to the East Coast. I like to think I have what it takes to march at any of these corps on quads, but I'm not sure which one would be best for my ultimate goal: to march Bluecoats. I know it's very competitive, but I want to give it a try eventually. Also, I'd want to save up for a car so I could actually get to Ohio, but I don't want to skip a year to save up. I want to get experience as early as possible, I just don't know where to start. Of these 3 corps, where would give me the most knowledge to prepare me the most?

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, any of the 3 listed will probably give you a good start.

Raiders, being in Open Class, gives you experience while not draining the ENTIRE summer.

Cadets2, being DCA, works as well because you can work on the weekdays and have competition on the weekends, allowing you to save up for that car but still get the Drum Corps experience. The only drawback is they go until Labor Day, which may go a bit against your College education.

Surf is also in the same boat as Raiders, but they do a bit more travel in the summer with the varied regional competitions that they attend as a part of the 'World Class' roster of Corps.

To round out the question, just go and Audition with the Bluecoats. See what you have and ask about recommended locations should they decide you're not quite ready to be in their tenor section. There may be other corps that you haven't thought of in the area of Connecticut or New Jersey that would prepare you more due to familiarity within the staff members and other factors.