George Hayek

Perhaps it's not my place to post this, but I logged onto FB this evening and it was lighting up with this news...

George Hayek, one of the co-founders of the Hawthorne Caballeros back in 1946 and active with the organization every day since, has passed away. He celebrated his 90th birthday on Oct. 1.

Rest in peace, George. Such a wonderful man, and a friend to so many of us.

• Like 2

Every corps has members that have given there whole life to a corps and when they pass it's difficult. It's difficult to put into words what George Heyek was to the Caballeros. Yes he was a founding member in 1946 but to us who are older and in the alumni, he was truly a father figure at 90 years old and still marching. His knowledge of the corps history was unmatched. He was able to recall in detail shows and events from 60 years ago. His memory was impeccable. Rest in peace George. You will always be missed.

• Like 3

RIP to one of the greatest people ever to participate in drum corps

• Like 4

"RIP George":

I wish I had known him. Everyone I know that actually did spoke volumes of the man, and his knowledge of the history of the activity.

A true gentleman.

Now he belongs to the ages.

Elphaba :flower:

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 2

Just got home from NJ, from George's viewing and funeral Mass.

A sad couple of days... but there also were many good memories, with all of us sharing stories about him, and the positive impact he had, on so many of us.

He may not physically be here any more... but he'll be with all of us forever.

• Like 4