Those corps in the Olden Days that Impressed You (Non Top 12)

Several of mine have already been mentioned, including St. Rita's Brassmen.  A corps ahead of its time, playing absolutely killer brass charts from Hy Dreitzer.

I've mentioned this corps several times in other threads... but here goes again...LOL:  Southern Tier Grenadiers from NY State. Easily one of the best horn lines, on a player-for-player basis, I've ever heard during all my years around drum corps.  And they played some really high-rent stuff for a local-circuit corps, and a relatively small horn line. 

Boston crusaders 83 l Think

26 Horns and They Played and marched like 66.Tough bunch too if l remember correctly They took on q local Miami gang Just before Prelims and leaned them a thing or2 about New England Hospitality

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hawthorne Muchachos 1975 Hershey Pa video on you tube. Was show day after they were disqualified from DCI. What a performance they put on. They were no longer a top 12.

Oakland Crusaders 1977. Thirteenth overall, top drums in semis.  (A Tom Float line.)  Although they were top twelve in prior years.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

Very early 70's - CMCC Warriors, St. Rita's, Boston Crusaders, Des Plaines Vanguard, Troopers, 27th Lancers, Anaheim

Edited by resguy

"Beantown's Best":

WAY "Back in the day"  (Late 1950's-early 1960's) the Boston area had a blizzard of great junior drum corps, most of them instructed by members or alumni of the great Lt Norman Price Post "Princemen".

Their numbers include, the Caimbridge Caballeros, St Marys Majestic Knights, IC Reveries (Who became the 27th Lancers), St Kevins Emerald Knights (St Kevins actually had THREE corps, besides the Knights were the Gems and the Chips), Boston Crusaders (And their cadets corps the Valients), Braintree Warriors, St Marys Cardinals, South Boston Gatesmen, and the all girls Debonaires.  (My apologies to any that I have no doubt missed).

They competed in what then was the old "CYO Circuit".  There were actually so many CYO drum corps, drill teams and marching bands, that the CYO Championships often took and entire weekend to complete.

Elphaba  :flower:

1979 Boston Crusaders.

Small corps, but a killer show... horn line was absolutely sick... and an almost unbelievable energy level.

12 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

1979 Boston Crusaders.

Small corps, but a killer show... horn line was absolutely sick... and an almost unbelievable energy level.

Audio only, but hey, ya know: