Those corps in the Olden Days that Impressed You (Non Top 12)

Was just thinking about corps that I saw years ago that never were top 12 or even top 20 (maybe) that impressed me. I'll throw a couple out there and maybe more later

Imperial Regiment (NY)......Top of my list. They were our rival in Western NY but here's what impressed me....Brass line was usually small but every single person played. Craig Fattey and Bob "Sudsy" Suhina wrote some incredible charts that those kids could play the heck out of. The percussion section was solid with Marcia Fattey leading the best written percussion charts. Why no one picked her up back in the late 70's/early 80's is beyond me. She knew how to write for the percussion line.

Gauchos (NY)...from the time I saw them in Oswego, NY in 1971 until the last time I saw them in 1977, this corps always impressed me. They were the mini Muchachos and I was hoping for huge success for them. Central NY had some corps that needed that break. Not sure why they ever disbanded but like most corps in NY money and travel probably was the issue.

Black Knights (NY)... My first time seeing them I heard them playing A New World Symphony and fabulous chart called A New Set of Threads. The soprano and baritone solo were incredible!

All three corps had an abundance of potential and were climbing up the A Class charts but as with many Upstate NY corps in the 70's, they disbanded, attempted to merge and died.

Way back in those olden days....every corps I saw impressed me. I became a passionate fan from day one. It wasn't until I had been active in drum corps for a while that my tastes became a little more selective. A few corps that just absolutely floored me, when I first saw them......Troopers, SCV, 27th Lancers, Muchachos, Madison. And Cabs, Brigs, Sky, and Cru, from the senior ranks.

• 4 weeks later...

​There were two local corps that got me interested in drum corp. They had a great sound. The Smithtown Freelancers and the Selden Cadets. Selden made it a little further then Smithtown, But both were great. Well not the Skyiners or Blessed Sacrament great, but still good.

• Like 1

"Out of the Spotlight"

Some truly impressive corps of "My Era" (Not counting our two main "City" rivals), include St Rocco's Cadets, (Hy Drietzer's "Junior Skyliner" sound),CMCC Warriors, Pittsfield Boys Club Cavaliers, New York Kingsmen (Bob Bunce's hornline!!!!), Our Lady of Lourdes Cadets (NJ), Newark Woodsiders, Floyd Bennet Golden Eagles, Loretto Knights and Selden Cadets.

There no doubt others but these come to mind.

Elphaba :flower:

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Toronto optimists, greece cadets, watkins glen squires, and the General Butler Vagabonds.

Wrong thread

Edited by ajlisko

"...Sertomanaires, 60s,..."

That soloist, was his name Gibbs? (I think Sam told me that a while back.) So musical, so hip.

Other under-rated corps in my view were many, among them: St. Rita's Brassmen, Avant Garde, Philadephia PAL, Watkins Glenn, St. Raphael's, and later, the Osage Precisionnaires, Seattle Imperials.

And there were many more who could entertain with equally great skill.

"...Sertomanaires, 60s,..."

That soloist, was his name Gibbs? (I think Sam told me that a while back.) So musical, so hip.

Other under-rated corps in my view were many, among them: St. Rita's Brassmen, Avant Garde, Philadephia PAL, Watkins Glenn, St. Raphael's, and later, the Osage Precisionnaires, Seattle Imperials.

And there were many more who could entertain with equally great skill.

Doug Gibb

Regards & Merry Christmas

John