Is Atlanta in or out?

2 hours ago, steeldrum said:

Well neither did McEachern High School for that matter, they had to use shuttle buses from a remote church parking lot.  There is plenty of parking around mid-town Atlanta that could be used with shuttle buses for a show at Georgia Tech Grant Field.  They do host a few sold out football games there every year.

McEachern is one of the most beautiful high school campuses with a huge endowment, but man they need to spend some money on improving stadium comfort.  The concrete benches with no leg room in between rows is just awful.  Fortunately I remembered my seat cushion.  

The concern for parking at GA Tech is not merely for the audience but for the equipment trucks for the corps, the props, and the pit.

The dome seems to be progressing on schedule expectations (official and actual.)

• 5 weeks later...

On one of the threads discussing stadium options in Atlanta when the Dome isn't available, a poster referenced Georgia State Stadium as a possibility. This article today gives some further details.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/stadium-formerly-known-as-turner-field-begins-a-new-chapter-1.14094352

I just read several opinions about the new Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta on the GA Tech message board.  Aside from the complaining about getting beat in double overtime by Tennessee, the biggest complaint is about the horrendous acoustics in the new stadium.  Football fans complaining about not being able to hear the bands or the announcers is not a good sign for DCI events.  The other big complaint was concerning the slow egress into/out of the stadium.

I talked to someone  well connected to the project several months ago and asked if acoustics were taking into design consideration for hosting concerts and other musical events.  He said the priority was to make the stadium as loud as possible for football games.   I guess I can understand that, football generates a lot more revenue than marching band events. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, steeldrum said:

I just read several opinions about the new Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta on the GA Tech message board.  Aside from the complaining about getting beat in double overtime by Tennessee, the biggest complaint is about the horrendous acoustics in the new stadium.  Football fans complaining about not being able to hear the bands or the announcers is not a good sign for DCI events.  The other big complaint was concerning the slow egress into/out of the stadium.

I talked to someone  well connected to the project several months ago and asked if acoustics were taking into design consideration for hosting concerts and other musical events.  He said the priority was to make the stadium as loud as possible for football games.   I guess I can understand that, football generates a lot more revenue than marching band events. 

And the Falcons have already proven how serious they are about wanting a noisy stadium: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/falcons-fined-350k-lose-2016-draft-pick-over-crowd-noise-scandal/

Luckily, they haven't been messing with the roof at MB Stadium and have it stuck open.  Georgia Dome deja vu all over again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 2:17 AM, oldsoprano said:

And the Falcons have already proven how serious they are about wanting a noisy stadium: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/falcons-fined-350k-lose-2016-draft-pick-over-crowd-noise-scandal/

Watching the GB vs ATL game tonight.  There have been a number of false starts on the Packers indicative of home team crowd noise.  Not so much in the 2nd half as the Falcons have the game well in hand. Yes -- the roof is (finally) open.

Wondering how much can be attributed to stadium acoustics?