Is Atlanta in or out?

21 minutes ago, wigwam said:

Allentown is outdoors and nobody frets about the weather there.  Unless it rains. 

And then there were the Glassmen.

Yes, in Atlanta the fretted about the weather even indoors. Ask Carolina Crown and section 321.

yesterday's NFL broadcast saw the game in the new Atlanta stadium with the roof open. Sight lines and distances from field to crowd are quite different from Georgia Dome. I imagine the acoustics are quite different, particularly if the roof is or is not open. Marching band contests there should let us observe a lot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2017 at 11:34 AM, wigwam said:

Allentown is outdoors and nobody frets about the weather there.  Unless it rains. 

Nobody frets about the weather anywhere, unless that weather turns bad. LOL 

And when rain is pelting down, or fans are headed for the concourse or their cars due to lightning and thunder, then indoor drum corps suddenly looks like not such a bad idea. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

56 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Nobody frets about the weather anywhere, unless that weather turns bad. LOL 

And when rain is pelting down, or fans are headed for the concourse or their cars due to lightning and thunder, then indoor drum corps suddenly looks like not such a bad idea. :tongue:

unless it was this very Georgia Dome when Carolina Crown was on the field when the rain on the roof prevented the drum judge from hearing the battery so off the field they had to go...

or later in the same show, when part of the Dome ceiling over a third tier section caved in dousing all the spectators below.

Domes aren't always the panacea some hope, even with the roof closed.:unsure:

17 minutes ago, xandandl said:

unless it was this very Georgia Dome when Carolina Crown was on the field when the rain on the roof prevented the drum judge from hearing the battery so off the field they had to go...

or later in the same show, when part of the Dome ceiling over a third tier section caved in dousing all the spectators below.

Domes aren't always the panacea some hope, even with the roof closed.:unsure:

Still... much, much better odds of consistently good weather indoors, even with the two freak examples you mentioned.

Wow... I almost sound like "Last Word Stu" with this response. :tongue:

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. Wonder if this is any indication for what we can expect....

http://www.wsbtv.com/video?videoId=623962740&videoVersion=1.0

(BTW, the guy interviewed at :48 into the video clip marched drums in Spirit in the 80s. I've sent him an email asking for his assessment of how the stadium might sound for drum corps.)

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

(BTW, the guy interviewed at :48 into the video clip marched drums in Spirit in the 80s. I've sent him an email asking for his assessment of how the stadium might sound for drum corps.)

The written report said there were speaker issues on some of the levels, leading me to believe they were relaying the audio throughout the stadium via loudspeakers on each level.  Not sure if that's a good solution to drum corps performances when DCI fans (at least here) are already complaining about amplification. 

9 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

The story went AP nationwide with some more specifics in this print version.

http://www.nhregister.com/news/article/Fans-in-low-places-Sound-woes-mar-Garth-Brooks-12275183.php

8 hours ago, xandandl said:

The story went AP nationwide with some more specifics in this print version.

http://www.nhregister.com/news/article/Fans-in-low-places-Sound-woes-mar-Garth-Brooks-12275183.php

interesting. granted a concert stage is going to be set up differently than a drum corps show, and the speakers used by a drum corps are going to be different than a major touring act

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

interesting. granted a concert stage is going to be set up differently than a drum corps show, and the speakers used by a drum corps are going to be different than a major touring act

Agreed that it's a bit apples vs. oranges, but a lot of the comments that I've heard today focused on the terrible echo in the building, which I would guess is by design, since the Falcons have already been fined by the NFL for piping in crowd noise, which to me means they built the place to be as noisy as possible. Interesting to read all the complaints on the Mercedes Benz Stadium's official Facebook page. To put it mildly, the stadium is taking a shellacking.

Edited by oldsoprano