Is Atlanta in or out?

2 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

Agreed that it's a bit apples vs. oranges, but a lot of the comments that I've heard today focused on the terrible echo in the building, which I would guess is by design, since the Falcons have already been fined by the NFL for piping in crowd noise, which to me means they built the place to be as noisy as possible. Interesting to read all the complaints on the Mercedes Benz Stadium's official Facebook page. To put it mildly, the stadium is taking a shellacking.

were not the new stadium used by the Viking also built to reflect crowd noise out to the field so as to intimidate the opposing side? MN marching band folk didn't quite like that I heard.

If I call rightly, even the stadium in Seattle with its open air roof was contrived with similar goals.

While apples and oranges to drum corps shows, all these aspects matter now that A&E is part of the designer's dynamics for corps performance, adjudication to some degree, and fan appreciation. If the noise from the vendors in the hallways make shows disquieting, stadium echos and sound distortion would be a major concern, and not just at LOS.

Edited by xandandl

Found this comment that addresses the horrible sound at the this week's Garth Brooks concert, but also touches on how the marching bands sounded at one of the college football games that have been played at the new MB Stadium...

"I've been to the GT/Tenn game, a Falcons game, a United game, and the Garth concert. All four events have had the same inexplicably poor sound quality. Couldn't hear either marching band at the NCAA game, couldn't understand anything the referees said on field calling penalties, and couldn't understand a word of anything spoken from the stage last night."

On 10/13/2017 at 8:01 PM, oldsoprano said:

Agreed that it's a bit apples vs. oranges, but a lot of the comments that I've heard today focused on the terrible echo in the building, which I would guess is by design, since the Falcons have already been fined by the NFL for piping in crowd noise, which to me means they built the place to be as noisy as possible. Interesting to read all the complaints on the Mercedes Benz Stadium's official Facebook page. To put it mildly, the stadium is taking a shellacking.

move the whole #### thing to Winston Salem

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2017 at 12:52 AM, Jeff Ream said:

move the whole #### thing to Winston Salem

It's early and I haven't had my coffee.  That would leave Georgia with which major DCI events?

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are curious, here’s a panoramic view from the top of the new stadium that was taken during the setup for tomorrow’s BOA Super Regional.

My first impressions of the new stadium, from Saturday's BOA regional:

I had intended to move around and check out the sound from various sections, but once I got settled in on the front row near the 50 (where I usually try to sit when I'm shooting lots of photos), the seat was so comfortable that I didn't really feel like moving around, so I didn't.

So I can report that the sound of the bands from the front row wasn't as bad as I was expecting, although you can't really understand anything from the PA announcer. One thing that I noticed that should significantly improve sound over the old Georgia Dome is that in most areas, there is a concrete wall separating the lower seating bowl from the concourse and concession stands, so you don't get that very loud noise bleeding over from the concourse into the seating area. In the Dome, if you sat in the top 1/3 or so of the lower deck, the noise from the concourse was very distracting.

Did I mention that the seats are comfortable? By far the most comfy stadium seats that my butt has ever graced. Compared to the seats in the Ga. Dome, these are wider, more padded and have higher backs.

Finally, the fancy retractable roof, which caused some of the construction delays and still isn't working properly, leaks. And not just a slow drip, drip, drip. (See link below for local TV story on the leaking roof.)

http://www.wsbtv.com/video?videoId=634039764&videoVersion=1.0

• Sad 1

On 11/17/2016 at 10:49 AM, MikeRapp said:

Would love it if they moved the southeastern championship to Nashville, at Nissan Stadium. Flip the Friday and Saturday shows, have Atlanta be Friday at a smaller venue.

As nice as that would be, Amy Adams would rather eat dirt than let the stadium be used for anything besides CMA's or football.

11 hours ago, Toby said:

As nice as that would be, Amy Adams would rather eat dirt than let the stadium be used for anything besides CMA's or football.

They used it for soccer. And with Music City now World Class there may be a compellingly case to be made.

• Like 1

Atlanta is IN!

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211675992

(Now let’s pray that there will be no rain)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Atlanta is IN!

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211675992

(Now let’s pray that there will be no rain)

How could you post an hour ago when DCI's FB announcement is only 20 minutes old???  Grrrrrr!  (J/K)