Is Atlanta in or out?

I'll offer up the stadium at the high school where I teach, if they need a spot for the Southeastern Championships!!!

• Like 1

Bands of America hosts an annual regional at McEachern High School in Powder Springs, so if the new Falcons stadium doesn't work out in DCI's favor, I think that may be their first backup choice.

Bands of America hosts an annual regional at McEachern High School in Powder Springs, so if the new Falcons stadium doesn't work out in DCI's favor, I think that may be their first backup choice.

McEachern hosted the Atlanta Brass Classic (one of Spirit's home shows) a couple of years in the mid-2000s. DCI saw how successful it was our first year there, when we put nearly 10,000 butts in the seats, that they decided to start the Atlanta regional at the Georgia Dome.

I thought there were concerns it would be done in time

I sincerely hope they prove me wrong on this, but I have my doubts that the new stadium will be ready in time. The Atlanta regional would likely be the last weekend in July, which is just over eight months from now. A friend of mine shot this video of the new stadium THIS MORNING. Sure looks like it's nowhere near being ready, IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/mark.mckay.54738/videos/1801055670136747/

I sincerely hope they prove me wrong on this, but I have my doubts that the new stadium will be ready in time. The Atlanta regional would likely be the last weekend in July, which is just over eight months from now. A friend of mine shot this video of the new stadium THIS MORNING. Sure looks like it's nowhere near being ready, IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/mark.mckay.54738/videos/1801055670136747/

video is not public.

did a bit of snooping around.

appears the stadium will be done by the (revised) June 1st completion date.

of course that has no bearing on whether or not DCI can afford to host an event there if the rates are higher than anticipated.

webcam pic from inside the stadium yesterday. structural steel is largely done. things will fly once they get those roof supports in the center jacked down (already removed one).

4I8LCLw.jpg

Edited by corpsband

structural steel is largely done. things will fly once they get those roof supports in the center jacked down (already removed one).

This. They're in fine shape for a June 1 completion date, assuming no major accidents between now and then.

Edited by Slingerland

According to the 2017 schedule, the Southeastern Championships will be held at McEachern High School. I'm thinking that will be sell out since it's considerably smaller than the GA Dome

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=991112&SPID=168436&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211300115

And the statement from DCI:

With the Georgia Dome on its farewell tour and set to be closed in the first few months of 2017 to make way for a new stadium, a minor shakeup in the DCI Tour is expected for the final weekend of July splitting corps between events in Atlanta and Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

“We now know for certain that the brand new Mercedes Benz Stadium will not quite be ready for us to use for the 2017 DCI Southeastern Championship,” said DCI Senior Director of Events Development Susan Kuehnhold. “We are currently finalizing details with McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Georgia as the temporary home for the event on Saturday, July 29. This Atlanta-area lineup will be slightly abbreviated with the balance of corps headed to Winston-Salem for an enhanced Tour of Champions series event on Sunday, July 30.

McEachern is a horrible stadium, all concrete seats except right in the middle. Bring your seat cushions for sure.

Why not move it to Georgia Tech's Grant Field?