Is Atlanta in or out?

So Atlantans and Georgians, give us best advice.

Beauty of Georgia Dome was that I flew in, hopped the link from Hartsfield to Centennial Park, walked to hotel and nearby stadium, even Church for Sunday was around the corner before flying back on Sunday.

Recommendations for nearby restaurants and eateries.

Will the new contest site require a car for us out-of-towners, what are the better venues nearby for housing, will a tour of Carrollton and Woodstock be on the daytrip?

Unless you're willing to taxi/Uber, you're gonna need a car. Rail doesn't run to Cobb County.

So Atlantans and Georgians, give us best advice.

Beauty of Georgia Dome was that I flew in, hopped the link from Hartsfield to Centennial Park, walked to hotel and nearby stadium, even Church for Sunday was around the corner before flying back on Sunday.

Recommendations for nearby restaurants and eateries.

Will the new contest site require a car for us out-of-towners, what are the better venues nearby for housing, will a tour of Carrollton and Woodstock be on the daytrip?

Like others have said, you will need a car, because there is no mass transit that serves McEachern H.S.

As for places to stay, my recommendation would be this Holiday Inn Express, which is about six miles from McEachern. It's certainly the closest option, and it's a fairly new hotel that appears to be pretty decent. Here's the link: https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/austell/atlps/hoteldetail

Another good option is the Best Western hotel in Hiram, which is also about six miles from McEachern. Either the HI Express or the BW would be about 10 minutes away.

One bit of warning for out-of-towners looking for a place to stay. You might see that the hotels in the Six Flags area are relatively close (about 25 minutes or so). Those hotels (particularly the ones along Fulton Industrial Boulevard), are, in a word, bad. Like don't be surprised if someone gets shot or cut in the parking lot while you're there bad. Just don't. (Source: Personal experience writing about said shootings and stabbings for over 35 years.)

Edited by oldsoprano

Like others have said, you will need a car, because there is no mass transit that serves McEachern H.S.

As for places to stay, my recommendation would be this Holiday Inn Express, which is about six miles from McEachern. It's certainly the closest option, and it's a fairly new hotel that appears to be pretty decent. Here's the link: https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/austell/atlps/hoteldetail

Another good option is the Best Western hotel in Hiram, which is also about six miles from McEachern. Either the HI Express or the BW would be about 10 minutes away.

One bit of warning for out-of-towners looking for a place to stay. You might see that the hotels in the Six Flags area are relatively close (about 25 minutes or so). Those hotels (particularly the ones along Fulton Industrial Boulevard), are, in a word, bad. Like don't be surprised if someone gets shot or cut in the parking lot while you're there bad. Just don't.

Thanks for the candor and insight.

However, wasn't the GeorgiaDome experience for DCI usually sponsored by some tourist board down there in GA? If so and if your comments are right on, then DCI may be looking for a new sponsor or the tourist board may be looking for you as you pass those GA billboards.

Thanks for the candor and insight.

However, wasn't the GeorgiaDome experience for DCI usually sponsored by some tourist board down there in GA? If so and if your comments are right on, then DCI may be looking for a new sponsor or the tourist board may be looking for you as you pass those GA billboards.

The Atlanta DCI regional was sponsored for several years by the Lake Oconee tourist board. Lake Oconee is about 80 miles east of Atlanta and 100,000 miles from the Fulton Industrial area that I mentioned earlier. The regional is now sponsored by Lone Star Percussion.

The hotels along Fulton Industrial were actually nice when they were built about 40 years ago, but that area has been a hotbed of crime for at least 20 years or longer, as many of the hotels transitioned to extended-stay motels. I can only imagine the horror of bringing my family to town to visit Six Flags, and looking at the map for a close hotel and choosing one of these places.

I agree... better safe than sorry when it comes to stadium availability. All sorts of factors can delay a scheduled opening.

Anytime I hear "It should be ready"... I get a bad feeling. LOL. The same feeling I get when I'm set to do a PA gig, and the stadium audio person tells me the battery for the wireless mike "should be fine." :tongue:

2008....Lucas Oil should be ready....

2006 Frontier Field should be ready ( i know that was like 8 names ago)

1996...Frontier Field should work....

yeah you need to read the ACJ for actual updates. but the webcam is always up-to-date.

and i dont believe them. snow in Atlanta for a day cripples the region. and the weather being goofier than ever could pose problems.

I don't blame DCi for making alternative plans for a year.

and i dont believe them. snow in Atlanta for a day cripples the region. and the weather being goofier than ever could pose problems.

I don't blame DCi for making alternative plans for a year.

i don't disagree.

but that's a far cry from "the stadium won't be ready'. it will be.

Good Afternoon!!

I am looking on the DCI website for tickets for the Southeastern Championships, any word when the ability to purchase tickets will be??

Good Afternoon!!

I am looking on the DCI website for tickets for the Southeastern Championships, any word when the ability to purchase tickets will be??

I've reached out, since I'm curious as well. If I hear anything back I'll let you know.

Edit: So logistically some things are still being ironed out. DCI office anticipates they'll go on sale the end of January.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 1