Spirit of Atlanta to march Adams Brass in 2017

Talked to the Adams rep at Finals. He told me they were in discussion with a few corps to sign contracts upon completion of current ones. Clearly Spirit was the first one whose contract was up.

As much as I actually find Adams to be decent playing horns, it is a step backwards from Kanstul. They weren't the best hornline the past few seasons, but the depth of sound and tone color they had simply wasn't had by any of the Yamaha or Jupiter corps.

Kanstul are the best, no question. I agree about Jupiter, but SCV convinced me this last season that Yamaha can produce a fantastic sound.

To me, having played a number of different Yamaha horns, it takes way too much effort to get any decent volume or projection out of them, especially the tubas. Yamaha tubas sacrifice actual tone quality for weight savings. I thought Spirit and Genesis had a nice rich low brass sound with some nice overtones. Very similar to G horns - better be since Kanstul's Bb and G lines use the same parts!

I've heard that Yamaha horns also don't have a rich bass voice simply because that's not what the Japanese like to hear. Japanese music values mid and high voices more so than the low voices, whereas American music traditionally has a deep bass foundation. So... YMMV!

To me, having played a number of different Yamaha horns, it takes way too much effort to get any decent volume or projection out of them, especially the tubas. Yamaha tubas sacrifice actual tone quality for weight savings. I thought Spirit and Genesis had a nice rich low brass sound with some nice overtones. Very similar to G horns - better be since Kanstul's Bb and G lines use the same parts!

I've heard that Yamaha horns also don't have a rich bass voice simply because that's not what the Japanese like to hear. Japanese music values mid and high voices more so than the low voices, whereas American music traditionally has a deep bass foundation. So... YMMV!

Did you listen to SCV's tubas this last season? They certainly didn't lack for volume or tone quality. Probably the easiest tuba section to hear in the post G bugle era.