Best Drill

Weber's drill is fascinating to watch. I often rewind just to study "how did he do that". But.. how often is his drill a "big effect" ?

But in terms of generating effect, I don't think anyone compares with Gaines. Effect from drill, effect from brass staging, effect from guard staging ( I don't think anyone has done this better). Maybe Sacktig comes close -- certainly A&D was a masterpiece. But IMHO Gaines stands at the top.

Yeah Weber does incredibly organic and immaculately flowing stuff that is a complete and through thought. Not a ton of standout moments but the total package is just totally seamless.

And yep. That's why I put Gaines towards the top of my list. In terms of DRILL, not necessarily visual program as a whole, he was a master at generating effect from just incredible form development and staging. Still want him back. :'(

I prefer Weber's work to Gaines' for the most part. Just a taste thing. Gaines' highest scoring work always felt like visual with musical accompaniment...almost as an afterthought. I know that's harsh, but that's the effect I got.

Weber sequences his drill/visual to complement extended musical phrases in a more balanced way, IMO. I'm a music-forward type fan, so that's probably where it comes from for me.

• Like 3

In Summary, some of the best drills are those written by Zingali, Brubaker, Gains, and Sylvester.

Additional all-time great writers are Sacktig (Cadets), Weber (SCV), John Vanderkoff (Star, Bluecoats).

Obviously there are many fabulous writers of drill. It's usually a matter of opinion and personal preference.

I feel as though Garfield 1984, SCV 1985, SCV 1987, and Garfield 1987 are the best drills I saw in the 1980s.

In the 1990s it was Star of Indiana 1990, 1991, and Cadets 1998. Cavaliers 2002, 2005, and BD 1997 come close.

In the 2000-2009 time frame I think it was Cadets 2000, Cavaliers 2002, Cavaliers 2004, Cavaliers 2006, and SCV 2009.

In the 2010 - 2016 period I'd say Cadets 2011, and most SCV drills.

If you want to go back a bit, I would also add Ralph Pace (Spirit, 27th, Cavaliers), John Brazale (Phantom), Mike Moxley (Blue Devils), and Pete Emmons (SCV).

I'll give another shameless plug for SCVs 2010 Bartok show. That drill makes me drool. That visual program is a hidden gem.

Just rewatched that show last night, and a million times yes on that statement.

• Like 1