Congratulations to DCI's newest World Class corps!

Just noticed this as I was looking through the schedule... It appears that Genesis, the drum corps out of Austin, Texas, will be performing in DCI World Class in 2017! Congratulations to them! I can't wait to see how they stack up!

(EDIT: Mods, please fix the title, I misspelled "congratulations.")

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

While world class certainly could use more quality entrants, DCI says not to jump the gun. From the DCI press release this morning...

"Among the corps in the Minneapolis lineup will be Austin, Texas’ Genesis, an Open Class corps that has petitioned to participate in DCI’s World Class in 2017.

“This process will require a thorough review of Genesis’ business, touring, and educational operations,” said DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson. “While a formal determination of their competitive status will not be made until early February, the 2017 schedule reflects Genesis’ participation in the World Class in anticipation of a positive evaluation.”

I would not recommend it.

Let them continue for a another 3 years or so, make sure they can prove they have consistent funding to be able to tour on a WC level.

Remember Teal Sound, Magic of Orlando, Capital Regiment, even Glassmen fell after being WC for years and years.

They have to have the money, and consistent money. It isn't "Oh look, we can afford to tour on a WC level this year - let's go for it!" That is just asking for failure.

They have paid and toured a full schedule for several years now. Their tour last year was longer than a couple of the WC corps.

• Like 1

I don't know their history, but I know the history of similar corps.

Esperanza also comes to mind.

And besides, and I don't mean this to be rude or insulting, but I go to WC corps events to see the good corps...I don't really want my money spent to go see another mediocre group.

If I had wanted to go see Open Class, then I would go.

Another corps fighting for that 18th place spot is nothing I really care about a whole lot - not saying they aren't bringing anything new to the activity, I do enjoy watching them, but rather my time and money be spent more of watching the corps that are more entertaining.

And besides ----- somebody has to keep challenging BDB and Vanguard Cadets from monopolizing the top 2 spots every year down in OC!!!

I don't know their history, but I know the history of similar corps.

Esperanza also comes to mind.

And besides, and I don't mean this to be rude or insulting, but I go to WC corps events to see the good corps...I don't really want my money spent to go see another mediocre group.

If I had wanted to go see Open Class, then I would go.

Another corps fighting for that 18th place spot is nothing I really care about a whole lot - not saying they aren't bringing anything new to the activity, I do enjoy watching them, but rather my time and money be spent more of watching the corps that are more entertaining.

And besides ----- somebody has to keep challenging BDB and Vanguard Cadets from monopolizing the top 2 spots every year down in OC!!!

BDB and Vanguard Cadets dominate the Open class for the future and beyone because of two things.....they will never advance to World Class status and other top Open class corps like Oregon Crusaders, Manderins and now Genesis choose to advance to WC status. In WGI if you are in the top two or three in a class division below World Class I believe you are required to advance the next season if competing in any WGI shows to the class above where you placed. If you won Open class then you have to compete in World class (WGI sanction shows) the following year.

Edited by afd

It's been no secret that Genesis has wanted to move to WC for a few years now, and last year's show was pretty sophisticated and if veterans are retained and talent is recruited to fill open spots, it could be interesting to see what happens.

Regarding the touring schedule, I believe it was decided last year that they would be hitting New England regardless of whether they were in OC or WC, my hunch being that if they do not get the nod in February, they'll prove they have the stamina for 2018. Also, if it decided that they should remain in OC, 7th Regiment and Spartans are in the Cranston and Lynn shows.

As far as finances are concerned, I have never see the books of Genesis or any corps for that matter, with the exception of the bits and pieces about some corps provided on this site. However, if we look at the corps that have folded due to finances, each corps has had specific problems: poor budgeting, being too lax on collecting fees, unexpected financial emergencies, borrowing too much money and living on credit. My guess is there are some that had disastrous fund raisers. The key is having the right people in place who have business skills and know drum corps. Yes some corps that went from OC to WC had financial problems, but some such as Jersey Surf, Pacific Crest, Oregon Crusaders, and Mandarins seem to be fine.

• Like 1

This is good for them. The reason BDB and SCVC will continue to stay in Open Class is because they are primarily for high school kids and do shorter tours. I will miss their competition.

As far as BDB and VC are concerned. Those are feeder corps, dictated by their mission statements. They will not move up, and according to their own mission, cannot move up.

As for Genesis, they've been performing in 15+ show tours the last several seasons, taking them out to the east coast as well, and they've shown they can handle it. And it looks like they handle their touring budget very well from what I've seen.

I think the major concerns at this point are one, how much is in the bank for contingency funds as well as what is their board seeing as projected funding for the next ten years, and two, which may be the real stinker, is can DCI afford to add another payout to their show lineups. OC lineups does not matter, as in OC Only shows no performance fees are paid to the corps. WC and Mixed shows though... now that changes the payouts.

• Like 1