2017 Colts

7 minutes ago, palmettomello said:

Ronald Regan HS used Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" this year at Grand Nationals. From what I remember, it was tastefully done and well pulled off in their show. There was a nice guard uniform change during the hit too. Too lazy to find the link. 2002 Pride of Cinicinatti Winterguard used it as well as their soundtrack. Hoping Colts do well with the piece, assuming they use it. 

It's somewhat a song de rigeur lately. Cadets2 used it in 2016 to win DCA, L.I. Kingsmen and Crossmen used in DCI previously as have,

Both Sides Now
Year Corps Song Title Composer
Junior Corps 5 Found
1971 Annunciators Both Side,s Now   Mitchell, Joni  
1971 Long Island Kingsmen Both Sides, Now   Mitchell, Joni  
1972 Ambassadors (PA) Both Sides, Now   Mitchell, Joni  
2004 Crossmen Both Sides, Now   Mitchell, Joni  
2017 Genesis Both Sides Now   Mitchell, Joni  
Senior and Alumni Corps 2 Found
2015 Cincinnati Tradition Both Sides, Now   Mitchell, Joni  
2016 Cadets2 Both Sides Now  

11 minutes ago, palmettomello said:

Ronald Regan HS used Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" this year at Grand Nationals. From what I remember, it was tastefully done and well pulled off in their show. There was a nice guard uniform change during the hit too. Too lazy to find the link. 2002 Pride of Cinicinatti Winterguard used it as well as their soundtrack. Hoping Colts do well with the piece, assuming they use it. 

always think of this version when someone brings up the song.

On 1/3/2017 at 9:23 AM, corpsband said:

Nope.  Just a fan.  

I think I posted this pic ( and a few others) when there was no post-camp news from a bunch of corps.  

Loved the Colts when Chuck N.was their arranger -- he was a very active participant in the old RAMB days.    Not sure if he still posts here or not.  

his version of summertime is still my favorite in dci history

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Lance said:

his version of summertime is still my favorite in dci history

Not my favorite version of Summertime, but I think it is the most innovative version, Really enjoyed that show too.

45 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Not my favorite version of Summertime, but I think it is the most innovative version, Really enjoyed that show too.

No slam to the great Harpo as soloist, but as a "jazzer", there's just too many "devices" he incorporated into the arrangement i.e. cadenzas, uptempo, half-time swing push/company front, down ending [abbreviated] to be effective IMO. For my tastes, I'll take a Bluecoats arr. on a jazz tune/standard [bitd]. Sometimes just a couple spices in the recipe makes a better dish than the cupboard-full. [as an aside, when I taught and had a superb soloist, I always featured him/her on the field!]

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 4:23 PM, shofmon88 said:

This show seems a bit too cerebral for my liking. 

That may be true, but Disney's "Inside Out" was somewhat deep in theory and not all that family appealing but it was funny, feel good, and successful.

45 minutes ago, Tim K said:

That may be true, but Disney's "Inside Out" was somewhat deep in theory and not all that family appealing but it was funny, feel good, and successful.

Apparently my dry humor doesn't translate well online.

13 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

Apparently my dry humor doesn't translate well online.

Actually I'm chaperoning a bus trip of kid on a trip to Washington, D.C., and we just saw Inside Out, so it's on my mind. Any humor is appreciated!

Edited by Tim K

On 5/10/2017 at 3:47 PM, Eleran said:

Or the Joni Mitchell version, since Joni wrote it.  I would expect this is part of the show, given the show title, and the crazy lyrics

https://youtu.be/zIYu4EHq0Lo

I MUCH prefer the original acoustic version to this slower one. The slower one seems to be the basis for the Reagan HS arrangement.

And speaking of the Reagan show, I wasn't expecting Festival Variations performed on the field in 2016.

Edited by kdaddy

• 3 weeks later...

Colts, just saw the Facebook post with your new uniforms. Looking good!