New DCI survey and its comments

Crap, now I'm regretting not putting contact info. DCI, if you read this, I'm the guy who talked about fuel prices a lot. Please feel free to PM me here.

Weird... I didn't even get an option to input contact info.

• Like 1

Weird... I didn't even get an option to input contact info.

Wasn't an option per se, but when it's open ended questions anything goes.

and furthermore in disagreement with Bruckner whose tinnitus ears must be blocking out the sounds of reality as he dreams of Harloff hornlines,Cipriani serenades and other fantasies,, corps and DCI have to duel with---

HOUSING AVAILABILITY and COSTS. It is already tough enough for the TEP's to find suitable schools and practice fields for the 150 MMs and busloads of faculty, staff, and volunteers.

Corps do not have the football budgets that some universities used to fling their hippopotamus bands across the country for their weekend road tour orgies.

To read that Duke University spent $85000 to fund one game with Maine at Cameron Gym draws ethics to a new low. And that's only pep bands. http://www.pressherald.com/2016/12/02/for-umaine-its-mens-visit-to-duke-is-more-than-just-a-basketball-game/

Who knows what corps like SCV, BD, Cadets and others must pay for the unavailability of Indiana schools during Championships week, the unavailability of practice fields during the pre-football season Swamp Tour down South, and the caviar-and-champagne appetites some of the faculties are developing after living the autumn-winter seasons in the extravagance of the diploma set. Though the top corps may have better budgets to handle these hurdles, many of the other corps do not. All-year use of school buildings. liability and malpractice insurance costs for districts, and other administrative factors have diminished the number of suitable places willing to house 150. One corps, legendarily known to have several times camped outside under the stars of J. Birney Crum has investigated what it would cost to haul around 15 or so 10 man tents. No, Bruckner's "Let them eat cake" perspective won't mesh with the reality of food truck costs and housing.

My responses were all about the financial sustainability.

I was going to copy/paste the questions in here too, but I want to encourage people to see them for themselves.

Here are my responses:

1) I see no trend...only stagnation.

2) Increase the pool of participants (which will lead to more excellence)

• increase the age limit (better to remove it altogether)
  • allow ALL instruments, no restrictions whatsoever (do not make the corps limit higher...keep it at 3 busses: 150)

3) Reduce it TOC to the 6 best corps from prior year, and always make it a full retreat. I want drama, excellence and pageantry!

I mentioned allowing any instruments, but I also said that they should remove any limit on size. I also noted that old-style full retreats on occasion would be nice to see, even having the corps exit one by one in reverse order of finish, playing one of their parade tunes as they exit.

• Like 1

Dekalb TOC is a much different show in 2017 than it was in 2016. It's 20 miles from my house and I haven't decided if I'll go or not.

Seriously?

That's it, I'm moving East.

• Like 1

Look it up. It's up on DCI.org. I'm on the one show here in Illinois in June, San Antonio in July, Indy in August. I've also shortened my drum corps season.

You know, every year I say "Oh, I will pass on such a such a show ... they only have two top 12 corps, and I am seeing this great show two days earlier" and every year, on the day of the lesser show I end up talking myself into going.

• Like 3