New DCI survey and its comments

You know, every year I say "Oh, I will pass on such a such a show ... they only have two top 12 corps, and I am seeing this great show two days earlier" and every year, on the day of the lesser show I end up talking myself into going.

It's not so much the shows as much as it is how poorly run some of them are around here. Uncomfortable venues, interminable lines for concessions (I need water. I become dehydrated), bathrooms not open...I'm 59 years old. My tolerance for the hassle it's become in some venues is limited. The show I'm going to in Lisle, Illinois is a very well run show and that's why I'm going to it. And very comfortable with individual seats at Illinois Benedictine university. Hats off to the Cavaliers. Edited by Terri Schehr

It's not so much the shows as much as it is how poorly run some of them are around here. Uncomfortable venues, interminable lines for concessions (I need water. I become dehydrated), bathrooms not open...I'm 59 years old. My tolerance for the hassle it's become in some venues is limited. The show I'm going to in Lisle, Illinois is a very well run show and that's why I'm going to it. And very comfortable with individual seats at Illinois Benedictine university. Hats off to the Cavaliers.

Intangibles like these are critical to running a great event. The turnover year-to-year at some DC shows can surprisingly high.

• Like 1

It's not so much the shows as much as it is how poorly run some of them are around here. Uncomfortable venues, interminable lines for concessions (I need water. I become dehydrated), bathrooms not open...I'm 59 years old. My tolerance for the hassle it's become in some venues is limited. The show I'm going to in Lisle, Illinois is a very well run show and that's why I'm going to it. And very comfortable with individual seats at Illinois Benedictine university. Hats off to the Cavaliers.

A friend of mine in Naperville said that BU was a great venue and show. I think I'll hit Muncie the day before with the same corps.

• Like 1

Do you fashion yourself an amateur Hemmingway? You like to wax don't you? Most of the time I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I bet you smile to yourself in the satisfaction of another witty tome as you type it.

Hemingway specialized in a very simple and direct writing style. Are you perhaps thinking of Faulkner?

First sentence of Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom:

"From a little after two oclock until almost sundown of the long still hot weary dead September afternoon they sat in what Miss Coldfield still called the office because her father had called it that—a dim hot airless room with the blinds all closed and fastened for forty-three summers because when she was a girl someone had believed that light and moving air carried heat and that dark was always cooler, and which (as the sun shone fuller and fuller on that side of the house) became latticed with yellow slashes full of dust motes which Quentin thought of as being flecks of the dead old dried paint itself blown inward from the scaling blinds as wind might have blown them."

(Punctuation as in the original.)

• Like 1

Hemingway specialized in a very simple and direct writing style. Are you perhaps thinking of Faulkner?

First sentence of Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom:

"From a little after two oclock until almost sundown of the long still hot weary dead September afternoon they sat in what Miss Coldfield still called the office because her father had called it that—a dim hot airless room with the blinds all closed and fastened for forty-three summers because when she was a girl someone had believed that light and moving air carried heat and that dark was always cooler, and which (as the sun shone fuller and fuller on that side of the house) became latticed with yellow slashes full of dust motes which Quentin thought of as being flecks of the dead old dried paint itself blown inward from the scaling blinds as wind might have blown them."

(Punctuation as in the original.)

as opposed to:

"In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains.”

Edited by corpsband

What trend will affect DCI the most? The trend of escalating and skyrocketing budgets commensurate to the increasing and ever changing equipment and design requirements it takes to be a participant within a Major League type environment.

What issues Must DCI address? The trend of escalating and skyrocketing budgets commensurate to the increasing and ever changing equipment and design requirements it takes to be a participant within a Major League type environment.

What Suggestions for DCI? Either move DCI into becoming an actual Major League For-Profit Competitive Organization, or restrain the trend of escalating and skyrocketing budgets commensurate to the increasing and ever changing equipment and design requirements it takes to be a viable participant within DCI.

• Like 3

What trend will affect DCI the most? The trend of escalating and skyrocketing budgets commensurate to the increasing and ever changing equipment and design requirements it takes to be a participant within a Major League type environment.

What issues Must DCI address? The trend of escalating and skyrocketing budgets commensurate to the increasing and ever changing equipment and design requirements it takes to be a participant within a Major League type environment.

What Suggestions for DCI? Either move DCI into becoming an actual Major League For-Profit Competitive Organization, or restrain the trend of escalating and skyrocketing budgets commensurate to the increasing and ever changing equipment and design requirements it takes to be a viable participant within DCI.

At first I thought you found my response and reposted it. But, no, it's just that we said about the same thing about escalating budgets and ever changing equipment

That was the gist of my answers, too.