DCA Rules Congress

Nice try, but you've whiffed yet again.

Helping new start-up corps was actually one of the benefits to the any brass proposal, and was discussed in the room by the instructor's caucus before it was forwarded to the directors for the vote.

I used to attend those winter meetings on a fairly regular basis.

If I had a dime for every time someone not in attendance told me what had happened at a meeting, and it was the exact opposite of what actually happened... I'd be sipping a drink on a Caribbean beach right now. LOL.

• Like 1

I used to attend those winter meetings on a fairly regular basis.

If I had a dime for every time someone not in attendance told me what had happened at a meeting, and it was the exact opposite of what actually happened... I'd be sipping a drink on a Caribbean beach right now. LOL.

Yea. This was the first time I've been to DCA's winter meeting. I was there for the rules congress, obviously, but Alan Beull's opening address was incredibly and refreshingly enlightening. It was a pretty cool day. You should have come, Fran, as it was in your neck of the woods.

Yea. This was the first time I've been to DCA's winter meeting. I was there for the rules congress, obviously, but Alan Beull's opening address was incredibly and refreshingly enlightening. It was a pretty cool day. You should have come, Fran, as it was in your neck of the woods.

We were at another event in the area. Plus, I'm not sure I can just crash a meeting without an invite. LOL.

John, the offseason meetings back in the day... they were legendary. And not always for the right reasons. :tongue: Any number of heated discussions, to say the least. But at the end of the meeting day, the folks who had been tearing into each other earlier would get together for dinner and drinks, and a lot of stories and laughs.

I kinda like the quieter meetings of this era better. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring

Enjoy your trombones.

as a trombone player, i like it. it adds some bite to the low brass that the baris and euphs just don't get.

• Like 2

Or, how about using splitters, Ring Modulators, or even an echoplex like Don Ellis did 45 years ago. :satisfied:

ECHOPLEX!! that would be sweeeet

Trombones are fine but they all need to be similar in sound and intonation. That's why the dci corps use the same brand. Your not going to "help" a start up corps with 12 different trombones on the competition field. Also, I was advised by someone mush wiser in this subject that the bones need to be reinforced by baris and euphs.

Speaking of start ups, schools have sousaphones, not students. How does that help a start up corps?

Overall, this might work ( I hope). Just not a fan. I do love a good marching band. But, I do love a good drum corps.... ya know.....

• Like 1

French Horns=Beautiful. Football field=meh

Trombones=Awesome. Marching with them, Not so much.

Sousaphones, Look nice, Sousa is my hero. Tubas on a shoulder are better.

With this in mind , I kinda agree with cixelsyd.

i havent seen a sousa yet. marching trombones has happened some, but mostly they've been used for slide effects

• Like 1

Trombones are fine but they all need to be similar in sound and intonation. That's why the dci corps use the same brand. Your not going to "help" a start up corps with 12 different trombones on the competition field. Also, I was advised by someone mush wiser in this subject that the bones need to be reinforced by baris and euphs.

Speaking of start ups, schools have sousaphones, not students. How does that help a start up corps?

Overall, this might work ( I hope). Just not a fan. I do love a good marching band. But, I do love a good drum corps.... ya know.....

you'd be surprised how many schools dont have sousas and borrow contras from corps

Generally, Sousaphones aren't as good an option as the marching Tuba by far- they don't play as well, especially the fibreglass models.

Had a recent conversation with some knowledgeable folks that said the freakin' Helicon Tubas are a better instrument to play and get a good sound out of then the sousaphone....

You can get a feel and vibe with the horns in place for the trombone but you can only do so much with valving tricks to get certain things to come off.

To be honest, if we'd had the option of using Trombones for our feature work in "Winnetka" and "Love for Sale" at Westshore in '82 and '83, I think we'd have jumped on it. 4 out of the 5 guys involved were Trombone Majors, I was the odd man out on Euphonium, but I play a solid enough Trombone when I have the need to.

Fran would approve of Art Van Damme, I'll bet.

Still, as Pepe would say, "Did ya ever win da Dream?"

I never met an instrument I didn't like, but I really don't want to meet all of them on the field. For me, the real musical challenge in Drum Corps has always been to create great sounds with brass and percussion.

"Great Sounds with Brass & Percussion":

HEAR HEAR!!!!!!!!!

Elphaba :flower: