DCI's own gets a mention on NBC News

wrong! And I'll just leave it at that.

It can't be "wrong". It's an opinion. Neither my opinion nor yours is wrong.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

Not in this case. I will leave it at that.

Well, the concern is that the person elected to that position used some pretty divisive, racial, and misogynistic rhetoric to obtain that position. These are not qualities associated with school bands, or drum corps. There are endless numbers of marching members who are of those races and sexes that many of the president elect, and his supporters have spoken out against. Marching in a parade that celebrates that person (no, its not about an office, but the idea of welcoming the person into that office) could be misconstrued as supporting the same rhetoric and hate speech that was used during his campaign.

• Like 7

Well, the concern is that the person elected to that position used some pretty divisive, racial, and misogynistic rhetoric to obtain that position. These are not qualities associated with school bands, or drum corps. There are endless numbers of marching members who are of those races and sexes that many of the president elect, and his supporters have spoken out against. Marching in a parade that celebrates that person (no, its not about an office, but the idea of welcoming the person into that office) could be misconstrued as supporting the same rhetoric and hate speech that was used during his campaign.

You just made my point.

• Like 6

On a serious note, though... I hope no band has its experience denied or ruined as a consequence of political hyperpartisanship.

In my opinion, this goes beyond the usual "political" differences. See C.Holland's post.

My HS band played at a GOP rally back in 2002 (post 9/11 ... pre second Iraq Invasion). President Bush made an appearance and spoke for a bit. Nothing memorable said, outside of what I already saw on the news. I didn't agree with his platform then -- and still don't now -- but it was still cool to play for a President ... especially one who, despite many disagreements with his administrations actions/policies, kept the rhetoric relatively civil and made sure not to marginalize a group of people with his words.

At the end of the day, Bush never really said anything that truly countered the mission of our band/instructors/boosters. Also, the band got some $$$ for travel/etc, so that was a plus.

Today, however, if I was a director who was offered a gig (an unpaid one) to perform for a person who represents the inverse of what I'm about as a teacher ... I would likely say "no" to the performance as well. Has little to do with actual politics.

• Like 2

I don't think most schools would go on record saying they are boycotting the parade, but if applications are down, it is a pretty good indication that not all schools are happy with the election results. To me, it says a great deal. Not every locality that sends a band or drum corps supported the victor, yet they saw it as an honor to march. Almost as soon as it was announced Boston Crusaders would march in the 2012 parade, they were soliciting to make sure it would be a reality. I would assume not every marching member of BAC that participated voted for the President, but it was still a huge deal. This year that doesn't seem to be the case.

I don't think most schools would go on record saying they are boycotting the parade, but if applications are down, it is a pretty good indication that not all schools are happy with the election results.

It's been known for years that the high percentage of those teaching our children are liberal, even those who are not part of unions. Very little discussion about both sides of a topic. http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-gross-academia-conservatives-hiring-20160520-snap-story.html

For those who missed this one. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-professor-anti-donald-trump-rant-caught-video/

(Since Tim K's post can only have a subtle reason for schools not marching because of the Nov. 8 th election results, read on before the hammer is lowered by a moderator.)

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

I'll probably get flamed for this comment...but I respectfully disagree...I further don't appreciate the quite obviously propagandized views coming from academia either...that said...it is any organizations right to take whatever "stand" they so call choose...I just don't think this is the time or place to do so in this regard...guess I'm just a bit more tolerant to others views whether divisive or not...that might not necessarily be my own...

• Like 1

I further don't appreciate the quite obviously propagandized views coming from academia either.

And maybe add the hypocrite's involved with the movie/TV industry who are anti guns, but make millions using them in their on screen productions.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 3

I don't think most schools would go on record saying they are boycotting the parade, but if applications are down, it is a pretty good indication that not all schools are happy with the election results. To me, it says a great deal. Not every locality that sends a band or drum corps supported the victor, yet they saw it as an honor to march. Almost as soon as it was announced Boston Crusaders would march in the 2012 parade, they were soliciting to make sure it would be a reality. I would assume not every marching member of BAC that participated voted for the President, but it was still a huge deal. This year that doesn't seem to be the case.

The divisiveness of the country's political map, the questions of import of popular voting and electoral college voting, the challenge of re-counts or not, the speculation of demonstrations and counter-demonstrations might put a school district in a bind of what is best to protect the safety and emotional stability of students in the face of somewhat angry adults and high security measures.

I know hotel rooms are sold-out within almost a hundred miles. The usual Respect march and convention on Jan. 22nd in Washington is finding it difficult to contract transportation and housing; and they have been relentless for about forty years.

It might not just be about liberal fine artists and their directors. School districts might just be playing it safe figuring watching the activities on TV might be just as educational in the long run.

• Like 1