DCI's own gets a mention on NBC News

"Expelled"? "Expunged"? Exhume means to remove from the ground, and usually refers to a corpse

Excised, then.

Sounds good. Though there probably was some president--er, precedent, for your original choice.

I imagine all the units participating in any of the major parades held annually get a heads up many months in advance. College and HS bands are already in season. D&BC have time to get the word out to current members, plus alumni. A corps (did Boston do this?) could hold their Jan. camp a couple of days earlier in the DC area and work on show, parade music, and parade marching before the Friday parade. Yes, some mm might have to change flight plans, but most will want to do it. Boston lost rehearsal time in early July of 2015 because of their involvement with the Esplanade concert on July 4th and Tanglewood a few days later, but they were major highlights for the mm that year.

Since so much can change so quickly this information may have out of date, but I believe at one time some marching groups were committed to the parade prior to the election. This was so there would be a broad representation from across the country. The remainder would be selected by the inaugural committee with groups that represent the President and Vice President elect. If it has changed and the inaugural committee selects all the marching units, there wouldn't be a lot of time to prepare.

Well now that everyone has their undies in a bunch and got to do a little harumphing, do you feel better? This dialing everything up to eleven is really sad.

Well now that everyone has their undies in a bunch and got to do a little harrumphing, do you feel better? This dialing everything up to eleven is really sad.

Well, sometime you need a dial that goes to eleven.

To lay my own cards* on the table: I truly believe that a number of people in this country--albeit not a majority--obviously including some who participate in these forums, recently made the single worst decision that has happened in my lifetime, yielding an outcome that even the chief beneficiary (as he acknowledged this evening) did not expect, but which we all must now endure.

That said, I also know that many of those people, including one from these forums I've met in person, are decent human beings who genuinely did not intend for their choice to result in some of the tragic effects that I believe will be forthcoming (and that they were subject to a fair bit of misinformation--the Cavaliers were certainly onto something this summer). We all make mistakes, if seldom ones so enormous, and I agree with you that no minds will be changed by discussions that devolve into mere shouting. Also, until the aforementioned outcome directly impinges on drum corps, these forums are not the place to have those discussions.

*Aces and eights, huh.

• Like 1

To lay my own cards* on the table: I truly believe that a number of people in this country--albeit not a majority--obviously including some who participate in these forums, recently made the single worst decision that has happened in my lifetime, yielding an outcome that even the chief beneficiary (as he acknowledged this evening) did not expect, but which we all must now endure.

Similar sentiments that many felt after the 2008 results and they have had to endure the changes that have hurt many of our citizens.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 2

Well, sometime you need a dial that goes to eleven.

That said, I also know that many of those people, including one from these forums I've met in person, are decent human beings who genuinely did not intend for their choice to result in some of the tragic effects that I believe will be forthcoming (and that they were subject to a fair bit of misinformation--the Cavaliers were certainly onto something this summer). We all make mistakes, if seldom ones so enormous, and I agree with you that no minds will be changed by discussions that devolve into mere shouting. Also, until the aforementioned outcome directly impinges on drum corps, these forums are not the place to have those discussions.

*Aces and eights, huh.

And that is your opinion which you are entitled to have of course...others may respectfully disagree with your assessment...and people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

To lay my own cards on the table: I truly believe that a number of people in this country--albeit not a majority--obviously including some who participate in these forums, recently made the single worst decision that has happened in my lifetime, yielding an outcome that even the chief beneficiary (as he acknowledged this evening) did not expect, but which we all must now endure.

Similar sentiments that many felt after the 2008 results and they have had to endure the changes that have hurt many of our citizens.

I understand that other people feel that way. I have tried very hard to understand why they feel that way, and I have failed. (I know quite a few people who feel they're better off now than they were then.) I will keep trying. I listen to a fair bit of talk radio, which perhaps helps to make up for the fact that I'm not on Facebook; unfortunately, I mostly end up yelling at the radio, since so much of what is said is not true. Still, as the saying goes, maybe I can "fail better".

But don't overlook my next paragraph, specifically this: "I also know that many of those people, including one from these forums I've met in person, are decent human beings". It is true of one side's supporters now; it was true of the other side's supporters then. Almost all of us want a better world for everyone. What that world will look like, we shall see. There are more important aspects, but with luck, drum corps will thrive there.

Know hope.

I find it ironic that those who preach tolerance the most are the most intolerant.

• Like 1