Traditions?

I know there are a lot of former mm's and long time corps followers on this forum. I have recently renewed my interest in the sport after not following for many years. The landscape has changed a little since I last followed. For perspective prior to this past season the last live show I saw was 1991. I did not even know that Star doesn't march any more. I learned this year G bugles are not the standard anymore. The learning curve was pretty steep but this year was pretty incredible with the opportunity to see most of the top 12 at some point. My son is headed off to college next year as a music major and has developed quite the interest in d&bc. We were discussing some of the corps the other day and began talking about traditions. My knowledge was a bit lacking. I am curious what some of the traditions of the different corps are. Any inputs would be appreciated.

(pops popcorn...)

Hey! Welcome back!

I like this sentence: "The landscape has changed a little since I last followed." Since 1991? Whew, you must be shocked!

Hope your son marches - it'll do your heart good.

"...Star doesn't march anymore"??

Lol.

Dino.

• Like 1

Thanks Ghost, I'll check it out

NO....he wants to know what is going on NOW....

Garfield, Let's just say my shock was a bit "amplified"!

Edited by Corpfan
  • Like 2

I know there are a lot of former mm's and long time corps followers on this forum. I have recently renewed my interest in the sport after not following for many years. The landscape has changed a little since I last followed. For perspective prior to this past season the last live show I saw was 1991. I did not even know that Star doesn't march any more. I learned this year G bugles are not the standard anymore. The learning curve was pretty steep but this year was pretty incredible with the opportunity to see most of the top 12 at some point. My son is headed off to college next year as a music major and has developed quite the interest in d&bc. We were discussing some of the corps the other day and began talking about traditions. My knowledge was a bit lacking. I am curious what some of the traditions of the different corps are. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Yes a lot has changed since '91...in fact that was my age out year...yikes! I know lot's of folks from that time-frame like yourself that stopped following drumcorps for whatever reason...and these are folks that even marched a championship season for that matter...I haven't necessarily embraced ALL change...but it is what it is and I love this activity...people seem to ask me a lot over the years how did you learn this or that and I seem to always find the common denominator to be I learned that in drumcorps...it certainly trumped my formal education...

Getting to your question...as far as traditions for the Boston Crusaders...

# 1 - Conquest
The Boston Crusaders first performed Alfred Newman's "Conquest" from the 1947 swashbuckling motion picture, Captain From Castille in 1969 and repeated it in 1970. The corps brought the tune back in 1973 & '74, then performed it as a part of their show in every year from 1976 through 1990. Since then, "Conquest" had become a signature piece for the Crusaders even so far as including a two measure quote called the "conquest shots", six unison and high dynamic notes, in various forms throughout the corps' shows. Fans and alumni of the corps take the shots as their cue to fill in the two rests with a shouted "HUH!"
Longer, extended quotes from "Conquest" have also commonly been heard in shows as recently as 2008's Neocosmos, 2010's Thy Kingdom Come, 2013's Rise, 2014's Animal Farm, and specially in the corps' 75th anniversary show Conquest in 2015.
#2 - Waldo
The Boston Crusader's symbol is King Richard's split-tailed lion. Affectionately known as "Waldo", the lion can be seen on all of the corps' vehicles, on the corps members' jackets, on corps merchandise, and as tattoos on many members and alumni of the Crusaders.
#3 - Fans
Fans and alumni of the Boston Crusaders often scream "Eat 'em up, Boston!" before start of a show.
#4 - Giant
The Crusaders' corps song "Giant" is based on the main theme from the 1956 movie, Giant. Traditionally sung by the corps before shows, "Giant" has also been commonly played at the end of rehearsals, in the lot before shows, and as an on-field warm-up.
#5 - BAC
The corps is commonly referred to as "BAC," which, in the media and polite company, stands for "Boston Area Crusaders." Although some people object to its use (and keep trying to remove it from this article), the corps in its earlier days earned their true nickname of the "Bad ### Crusaders" by being a rough-and-tumble group that was ready to fight when given almost any excuse. Many of the alumni from those days are quite adamantly proud of that hard-earned reputation and strenuously object to other people's sanitizing efforts.
On July 2, 2015, it was formally declared by the corps' administration that, henceforth, "BAC" would also stand for "Building A Champion".

Investigate Troopers, Cadets, Madison, Boston, Racine, SCV, Regiment, Cavaliers, Crossmen, BD to name but a few who were there with you in '91 and are still with us today and are known for their long term internal traditions as well as what the public sees on the field.

#5 - BAC
The corps is commonly referred to as "BAC," which, in the media and polite company, stands for "Boston Area Crusaders." Although some people object to its use (and keep trying to remove it from this article), the corps in its earlier days earned their true nickname of the "Bad ### Crusaders" by being a rough-and-tumble group that was ready to fight when given almost any excuse. Many of the alumni from those days are quite adamantly proud of that hard-earned reputation and strenuously object to other people's sanitizing efforts.
On July 2, 2015, it was formally declared by the corps' administration that, henceforth, "BAC" would also stand for "Building A Champion".

...and not one mention of the "A" part in any of their official documents. At shows, always announced as "Boston Crusaders." Website...all about Boston Crusaders. Parent org (Inspire Arts) doesn't use it either. It's best if we just stopped using it, since the org doesn't use it either.

...and not one mention of the "A" part in any of their official documents. At shows, always announced as "Boston Crusaders." Website...all about Boston Crusaders. Parent org (Inspire Arts) doesn't use it either. It's best if we just stopped using it, since the org doesn't use it either.

Why is it best? Are people involved not happy with its use? Just curious.