Jersey Surf 2017

I just came here to say that after catching the show a couple of times, I think Surf really found a happy medium with this one, and will hopefully be able to build an identity on this style after a few years of meandering in opposite directions.

Definitely not clean yet, obviously, but I think this show will give them a stronger vehicle to push back into Semifinals this year once it's all cleaned up. I like the train opening, a lot. It's memorable and something that really sets them apart in terms of uniqueness. The music is fun and engaging but really offers up as much demand, both for brass and percussion, as anyone else in their neighborhood. Sia as a ballad works super well and is written very beautifully. Nice moment there for some chills later on. Main thing: transitions are there, as well as a sense of cohesiveness and a thoughtful design, that was sorely lacking the last few years. 

I know scores probably aren't where they'd like them to be now, but this show has so much more to clean than the last two years, and when it is clean, will showcase a much more thought out design from Surf than we've seen in a few years. 

All like seeing all corps improving and learning and growing. Good job, Surf! I'm looking forward to watching your corps develop this show throughout the season.

Thanks for this vote of confidence! They are working hard to clean the show - they just got the whole thing on the field within the last week and there is much improvement to be made, but it is really coming along. The props are not even all out on the field yet. It would be nice if the scores start to pick up as well so they could make semis again after a few years absence. It's nice to see someone appreciating their efforts.

• Like 1

I think lots of folks in Cranston and Lynn appreciated their efforts. At least I did and folks were on their feet where I sat on the 50 yard line. The next time I'll be seeing Surf will be in Allentown then Indy. It will be nice to see the progress.

• Like 1

Posted this before...corps in this range have many obstacles to competitive performance. Performance fees are lower, becuase of funds some dont eat as well or have a medical staff, rehearsal time is less, longer drive to the shows based on housing sites, etc. Judges do not give the benefit of doubt...basically, corps in this tier have a longer row to sow. This is drum corps boot camp.