Star of Indiana Questions

Could Star ever make a comeback to the field? Would they? Hypothetically would they be at powerhouse status again? Only asking since I'm watching the 91 show for the first time and it's on my Chromecast and I'm blown away.

Like Seinfeld it is better to go out on top...

No question Star made huge contributions to drum corps both artistically and in management, and there are still strong opinions about Star today. Some hold Star up as the epitome of excellence and innovation, others as the championship corps money created, some too good for the competitive field, others as sore losers. Many who praise Star may never have seen them live or were born when Star competed for that matter. If they wanted to come back, it needed to be in the 1990's. Today it would just be a corps with the name Star of Indiana. It would also be tough for them to pick up where they left off.

This question gets asked a lot, hence many of the curt responses.

The annual off-season right of passage.

A lot of room for interpretation between the "could" and "would." But I'm going with Yes, No, Yes.

See ya next year!

• Like 1

Reminds me of VK's return, which to me seemed to putter out because I was in the stands hoping/expecting the 92 corps rather than a brand new Open Class corps.

I was thinking of this same scenario (VK). Once too much time has passed, and without significant involvement from a large portion of the original organization, these things just don't work. It ends up being a new group using the old name and schtick for familiarity/nostalgia. Better to start fresh and build something new and unique, like the Star organization ultimately did.

• Like 1

A more interesting question for me: Is there competitive space for a group to start a new drum corps based in Indiana?

Yes, a start up group called Ignition drum corps from Indianapolis who wasn't approved for open class in 2016 but performed as a Soundsport unit over last summer. There taken 2017 off. Hope they have a bright future. Indiana needs a drum corps. Great high school marching bands within the state.

• Like 1