Star of Indiana Questions

Of course like Star and Crown, Anaheim Kingsmen and Bluecoats have also won just one title, but for Star, Crown, Kingsmen, and Bluecoats, it's one more title than most corps have won.

and in many ways, that 1 win for each corps was pivotal for the growth of the whole activity including:

Anaheim Kingsmen DCI's first champion- the activity of the guard in the show was far beyond what many corps were doing nationwide. It began a change that gradually came to be accepted and expected.

Star and Crown each and not too differently expanded the challenge of musicianship, tonality, and general audience appreciation and understanding of what a good horn line can do. While there have been many corps with wonderful hornlines, the ensemble sound with the center not merely on the top register soloists was a contribution. I would add Florida's Suncoast Sound to this mix. Movement by the MMs and excellent musicianship were not opposing factors with any of these corps.

Bluecoats raised the bar to a new tier of what energies and expectations one may have of a contemporary drum corps show. Yes, they built on the contributions of other corps, but they moved the audience (and judges) in a new awe.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I have no idea what the hell this means. Care to elaborate ?

One definition is this:

A spiritual successor,sometimes called a spiritual sequel, is a successor to a work of fiction which does not build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, yet features many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material, thereby resulting in it being related or similar "in spirit" to its predecessor.

In this case, if you read my first post about this topic, you'll see why I felt that Crown is Star's Spirtual Successor.

Basically very similar, arranging style, extreme mellophones ( in a good way), brass technique, frequent uniform changes, considerable staff, wildly different show themes from one year to the next,

"Star to Star" versus "Crown to Crown", "Star of Indiana" and "Carolina Crown ( ie Crown of Carolina)".

One definition is this:

A spiritual successor,sometimes called a spiritual sequel, is a successor to a work of fiction which does not build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, yet features many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material, thereby resulting in it being related or similar "in spirit" to its predecessor.

In this case, if you read my first post about this topic, you'll see why I felt that Crown is Star's Spirtual Successor.

Basically very similar, arranging style, extreme mellophones ( in a good way), brass technique, frequent uniform changes, considerable staff, wildly different show themes from one year to the next,

"Star to Star" versus "Crown to Crown", "Star of Indiana" and "Carolina Crown ( ie Crown of Carolina)".

I understand a bit better now what you meant. Thanks.

The main creative forces at Bluecoats came from Star, and then moved on to create and run Blast!.

Nope, the person who created and continues to run Blast is Jim Mason.

• Like 1

The main creative forces at Bluecoats came from Star, and then moved on to create and run Blast!.

🤔. Not really

False

• Like 1

Bluecoats have Vanderkloff and VanDoren off the top of my head and after checking their site it's those two and then 3 others who were involved with Blast.

Neither of which were the creative forces behind the surge of the Bluecoats.
  • Like 2