My show pics might go missing -- Dropbox changing Public folder rules

Now that part has me confused.

I usually upload the file to Dropbox, get the public link to the file, and then use the DCP forum editor to wrap the link in the picture HTML. I would have assumed I would do the same with imgur -- upload the file to their servers, get a link, and post the embedded link here on DCP.

And from what I'm hearing from Dropbox, they won't provide direct URLs to files anymore. It sounds like they give you a URL to go to a page where you can download the file, which wouldn't work in DCP posts.

All their "marketing" spins this as "we've found better ways to share files and you need to start using them." But, they never actually come out and say why they are removing the old ways of sharing.

with imgur in addition to the standard "upload a local file" you can also spec the url of an image to "upload". imgur makes a copy of the remote file and serves it up as if you uploaded it.

A whimsical response. I use Photobucket and there's been lot of changes over the years to the point where I'm afraid to post; so many clicks, so many pop-ups. Here's a snagged bucket image uploaded to bucket and then the URL after many clicks

2016-12-22-photobucket-2_zpsqlwsqsaw.jpg

Then more clicks to remove code until begin IMG and end IMG (square bracket with slash like HTML code sort of) to get this for DCP. As an aside, I use my cell phone to phone people. I normally don't do high tech after work but I'm glad you do. Computers are supposed to make our lives easier. That's what it was intended to do.

2016-12-22-photobucket-2_zpsqlwsqsaw.jpg

Here goes > post > no edit > fingers crossed

with imgur in addition to the standard "upload a local file" you can also spec the url of an image to "upload". imgur makes a copy of the remote file and serves it up as if you uploaded it.

Got it. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd close the loop on this after I got a final answer from some of the developers at Dropbox.  The short answer is I can't use the Dropbox sharing features as I have in the past.  If I share a link, it won't resolve to an image, but you have to click the link to go to a page to download the file.  Ugh!

So, around Sep 2017, all the images I've posted will disappear. I do have local copies in my Dropbox folder so if someone needs a pic I've posted, please let me know and I'll get it to you. 

That is all.

You might look into Google Drive drive.google.com and Google Photos photos.google.com. If you upload the photos as less than 2000 pix on the longest side, it's unlimited. They give various options on how you can share folders on Drive or albums on Photos. 

Flickr offers 1TB storage to free accounts too, so maybe that is an option. 

Regards

Rick

• Like 1

On 2/1/2017 at 9:24 PM, RickCogley said:

You might look into Google Drive drive.google.com and Google Photos photos.google.com. If you upload the photos as less than 2000 pix on the longest side, it's unlimited. They give various options on how you can share folders on Drive or albums on Photos. 

Flickr offers 1TB storage to free accounts too, so maybe that is an option. 

Regards

Rick

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 1