The Academy's soloist

11 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I know a guy that for his New Years resolution he's opened a new health gym around the corner, and rented the best exercise equipment for a month. I might sign up for a month to month membership, as he's promising that after the 1st month, the equipment goes back, and his place becomes an Irish Pub.

Sign me up for month two!

• Like 1

Everybody probably just needs to consider the fact that this person is going from the Academy to the Blue Devils.

Its not like a wide receiver that finds out on the day of the NFL Draft that he  going to the NY Jets. How " creepy " a speculation would that be for the poor soul ?

Edited by BRASSO

8 hours ago, rr4353 said:

Just that people were speculating why marchers were leaving one corps to go to another. It's not 'ring-chasing' all the time, maybe there was another reason. 

DCI mm have been moving on to other corps for decades and there have been threads on DCP about this.  Besides ring chasing, another reason out of many possibilities has been financial.  Many a talented mm has received breaks on various fees.

Oh good grief. Now DCI members who gain a little fame need safe spaces. Not one bad thing has been written here about Jacob -- -quite the contrary. If he had completely blown the solo, we might bring it up in sympathy, but I doubt people would guffaw. Frankly, I really didn't care for the forgettable 1989 BD show, but when the sop soloist struggled (a kind way of putting it) Finals night, I really doubt many were laughing at him. It was very uncomfortable.

By the way, I had a great deal to say about the Cadets' representation on "Clash of the Corps" and none of it at all positive, so I just stayed away. Oog. The entire reason for the thread was asking the kid's age to see if The Academy would feature him again in '17. Now, perhaps in an alternate universe, BD will finish second for the next 3 years, losing to The Academy in his age-out year. :lol:

21 hours ago, garfield said:

Re: your comments regarding 'Coats... That may be true to some degree but last year I spoke with David Glasgow and he told me that the snare line for Tilt had only 3 'Coats vets and, last year, only one 'Coats vet came and the majority of the line was made up of vets from other corps who "like the jive".

It goes both ways, for sure.  'Coats may lose one to BD but gain one from Cavaliers...

The 2015 Coats line with only one vet, right? Yeah, they were solid but mostly as you said because they pulled in folks from Crown, PR, Boston, etc.  Most other lines wouldn't be that great with only one vet returning.  Three members alone from the 2014 Coats snareline are currently on BD's snareline and I'm sure one or two others from this year's have tried out.

I've made this comment many times in the competitive inertia threads that a corps is always marketing themselves to future members. Whether it be an awesome show, an awesome crowd reaction, or just an awesome summer experience, all of that is going to attract (or not) new members. I didn't think of it until this thread, but that whole thought process is probably even more meaningful to members of competing corps. If you're on tour, you're having a rough day, and all of a sudden some other corps shows up, appears to be having an absolute blast AND they beat you, there's a mighty good chance that's going to sound appealing for next summer. 

• Like 3

Edited by frachel

That was a way cool video. I suppose something like that has been done many times, but I've only seen the perspective now.