Thoughts on Bluecoats 2016 after the smoke has cleared?

4 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

Yeah, wow. There are open class corps that marched cleaner. I couldn't even pick out a cohesive marching style. The feet are seriously, seriously dirty, and I honestly can't figure out how they placed so high visually. 

Ok 

• Like 1

I did not attend finals in 2008, so I can't speak for Phantom in 2008, but I did see Crown in 2013 and Bluecoats in 2016, and I do feel both deserved the titles they won, especially Crown in 2013. 2016 was probably the most intense year for drum corps that I can remember. After prelims I was on overload and those who were there to for every corps from beginning to end probably felt the same way. The excitement focused on the potential a new corps joining the top twelve which happened, the the possibility of Bluecoats winning finals, combined with amazing Open Class shows and a variety from the WC corps that was amazing. Bluecoats provided the excitement no question at prelims and semi's, but finals was not as electrifying, and it did seem vulnerable, especially when captions were announced. I thought we'd see Crown take it home in the end, but it went to Bluecoats. Did they deserve the title? In the end I would still say yes, but having watched the BluRay, I would say their show does not fare well on video, so I can see the OP's point. However, I'm not sure I would have given the title to Blue Devils either. The corps really on fire that night was Crown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shofmon88 said:

Yeah, wow. There are open class corps that marched cleaner. I couldn't even pick out a cohesive marching style. The feet are seriously, seriously dirty, and I honestly can't figure out how they placed so high visually. 

What? No. The feet are a little dirty, yes, but definitely Box 5. Not being able to pick out a cohesive marching style is a byproduct of the hide-what-you-can't-fix I mentioned earlier, which stems back from the uniforms and additional body movements. 

• Like 1

The closer was a bit of a mess to me especially.  The ballad and the opener was spectacular and the closer left me...empty.  2 screaming trumpets (at least they were good) over a semi loud ensemble just didnt hit me super strong.

8 minutes ago, ouooga said:

What? No. The feet are a little dirty, yes, but definitely Box 5. Not being able to pick out a cohesive marching style is a byproduct of the hide-what-you-can't-fix I mentioned earlier, which stems back from the uniforms and additional body movements. 

I'm not sure how far back you go, but hide what you can't fix isn't new. I was in a CYO band in the mid 70's. The circuits used the same judging sheets for bands and drum corps and many bands and drum corps shared instructors. GE was a category, but the tic system still ruled and clean M&M was prized. I was a good musician, I was always where I was supposed to be as far as drill, but I tended to be out of step. I was later told by one of the drill instructors that he often designed around our flaws. Then there was always the marchers who were "declared" for one reason or another. The one who was "declared" was usually a rifle who was known for dropping the equipment who, when the competition was close suddenly had her arm in a sling (not being sexist, this was when most color guard members were female). So maybe "hide what you can't fix" may not be a result of body movement, it might be an "old school" tradition!

I have no recollection of BD's show. That's how boring I thought it was. GE wins today. And the judges have always liked the new and innovative. On both counts, nobody was close to Bluecoats. I'm surprised the score was as close as it was. So I guess we all have our opinions. Dirty feet?  When's the last time that mattered. The 1980's?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

The closer was a bit of a mess to me especially.  The ballad and the opener was spectacular and the closer left me...empty.  2 screaming trumpets (at least they were good) over a semi loud ensemble just didnt hit me super strong.

Yeah it was difficult to hear the battery and hornline over the roar of the crowd. :sigh:

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

Yeah it was difficult to hear the battery and hornline over the roar of the crowd. :sigh:

:/   

Im not a Bluecoats hater, even though thats how it sounds.  I just wonder if the right corps won.

Edited by BoaDci

I thought the show was a really neat idea and was executed probably as well as it could have been.  Personally I thought the biggest hot mess on the field was Cadets.  By far, IMHO the worst designed show at finals.  People ragged on Regiment's design but compared to Cadets...really?

• Like 2