Thoughts on Bluecoats 2016 after the smoke has cleared?

7 minutes ago, Cainan said:

Six minutes and twenty four seconds. And I too think this should have been 4th, and a reasonable distant 4th at that. DOn't get me wrong, I was hyping this as much as the next guy, but there is no way this corps won. I'd have scored it, BD, Crown, Santa Clara, Bloo

Wow...Im not alone....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

Wow...Im not alone....

Smoke and mirrors can get a lot of fans, and certainly higher scores.

Just look at Cavaliers in 2000-2003. Challenging, innovative, and dirtier than a colonoscopy.

Exciting and fresh live, but when you take step back, not close to what we thought.

You take that, coupled with (and I've said this before) the fact that so many in the stadium wanted them to win that winky boy could have farted into a mic for his solo and gotten a standing ovation, and you get show that is highly regarded in the moment and then just seems meh when you take a step back.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Just look at Cavaliers in 2000-2003. Challenging, innovative, and dirtier than a colonoscopy.

Exciting and fresh live, but when you take step back, not close to what we thought.

You take that, coupled with (and I've said this before) the fact that so many in the stadium wanted them to win that winky boy could have farted into a mic for his solo and gotten a standing ovation, and you get show that is highly regarded in the moment and then just seems meh when you take a step back.

Not sure I would call 2002 dirty. That's the show I go to to show someone that is new to drum corps what precise marching and drill look like.

2 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

Not sure I would call 2002 dirty. That's the show I go to to show someone that is new to drum corps what precise marching and drill look like.

Maybe filthy would be a better word for 2002? 

Looking with an objective eye anyways...

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

Yeah. Just like 88 Scouts. 

• Like 1

Amazing to think how many people think Clean = Winning.  If that were the case, corps would do just enough to win, rather than push the envelope.  There are a ton of shows that could have won based on being "cleaner", but didn't because their product wasn't as innovative as the winner.  Have to remember that the top and bottom boxes on the sheets are basically the "what are you doing" and "how are you doing it".

1984 Cadets over BD

1985 Cadets over SCV and BD

1988 Scouts over BD (who ended up third)

1990 Cadets over Cavaliers

1998 Cadets over SCV

1999 SCV...Very dirty but way cool

2001 Cavaliers over BD and Cadets

2005 Cadets over Cavaliers

2008 PR over BD 

2016 Bluecoats over BD

All of those shows had more visual or musical "dirt" than the runner up, but there is NO way I would take any of those titles away from the corps who won.  

• Like 2

At the end of the day, it's a performance activity. While we grade on excellence, performance has to remember its original goal, which is to entertain.

I watch a lot of Cirque shows. Drum corps has made my eye very keen to lack of uniformity, and there's a ton of that in Cirque. That said, even if my eye catches when the three guys performing backflips off bungee cords were a few inches out of alignment from each other, my brain still registers how awesome this is.

"How awesome this is" must be the crux, and that's why entertaining is and should be the thing that pushes corps into champion status.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, eightyonepointthree said:

Amazing to think how many people think Clean = Winning.  If that were the case, corps would do just enough to win, rather than push the envelope.  There are a ton of shows that could have won based on being "cleaner", but didn't because their product wasn't as innovative as the winner.  Have to remember that the top and bottom boxes on the sheets are basically the "what are you doing" and "how are you doing it".

1984 Cadets over BD

1985 Cadets over SCV and BD

1988 Scouts over BD (who ended up third)

1990 Cadets over Cavaliers

1998 Cadets over SCV

1999 SCV...Very dirty but way cool

2001 Cavaliers over BD and Cadets

2005 Cadets over Cavaliers

2008 PR over BD 

2016 Bluecoats over BD

All of those shows had more visual or musical "dirt" than the runner up, but there is NO way I would take any of those titles away from the corps who won.  

Most of the time cleanliness DOES mean winning. 

2015, 2014, Not 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 , 2009, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2000, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1989, 1987, 1986

Shall I continue?  Im just kidding you make a valid point.

Edited by BoaDci