Thoughts on Bluecoats 2016 after the smoke has cleared?

26 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I've posted elsewhere that upon viewing the BluRay, I thought the show looked sloppy in places. I, too, like the show, and I expect it will fuel some good creative thinking from smart corps managers and designers. (Probably some less desirable imitative thinking, too.)

For me, Crown and SCV had better overall shows, and I would like to have seen one of them take the top spot.

(Yes, I know that skips over BD. I seem to have some kind of strange problem with recent BD shows. Totally irrational. Just no goosebumps for me. Remember that scientist in the original Andromeda Strain who blacks out when seeing red? I apparently do the same when that beautiful cobalt blue steps on the field.)

Its alright i understand BD isnt for everybody.  I dont think BD should always win, but BDs ballad this year was perfect.

• Like 1

What if drum corps had a replay rule like college and pro football, where a performance could be evaluated in the booth on the spot? "Upon further review, the judges' scores stand. Bluecoats win!!!" LOL

• Like 1

All the shows mentioned, GE took the gold. When the audience is noticeably louder/more energetic for a certain corps, that is going to influence a judge's final GE score every time.

Also I was thinking about the dirt in Bloo's show this year, and I keep going back to this being a great example of smart show design. This time I'm going to call out the uniform design as being a winner. Feet and bodies were messy, much messier than we'd expect from a champ. Fortunately, when you put the corps in all white jump suits, you mitigate these things. Having the same color as top and bottom, arms and chest, drastically reduces whether or not you can see consistency from member to member. Same note, it's much much harder to discern clean feet in a sea of white legs all topped by white upper bodies.

And I'm firmly of the mindset that all of this, both the GE/audience reaction and the visual dirt/uniform designs is fairly, squarely within the rules. Rely on your strengths, fix what you can fix, hide what you can't.

• Like 2

My thoughts are pretty much the same they were in the season.  

I think Blue Devils and Carolina Crown were better corps but their shows still have small things throughout that just don't add up to the absolute seamlessness and production value of what Bluecoats achieved with their show.  Seeing them live I still think the right show won.  I can totally see an argument for another corps or the over half point gap being way tighter. 

Still think SCV should have been way closer to the top of the pack than they were.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

My thoughts are pretty much the same they were in the season.  

I think Blue Devils and Carolina Crown were better corps but their shows still have small things throughout that just don't add up to the absolute seamlessness and production value of what Bluecoats achieved with their show.  Seeing them live I still think the right show won.  I can totally see an argument for another corps or the over half point gap being way tighter. 

Still think SCV should have been way closer to the top of the pack than they were.  

I didn't get to see it live, which I absolutely attribute our different opinions to. 

However, I absolutely agree that SCV was under-ranked (undervalued?) this last season. Of every show that I've seen, theirs has held up the most with repeat viewings, both visually and musically. 

As I've been going through the lossless audio, it's interesting to note how ragged some of the top hornlines were last season. Crown is hands down the cleanest, and it actually drops somewhat precipitously from there. I'd put BD second, SCV third, Cadets fourth, Bloo, then Cavaliers. Bloo, since this thread is about them, has a nice ensemble sound, but they have issues with attacks and phasing, no doubt due to the positioning of members on the field (and Cavaliers have a giant dirty tear in timing, makes me nervous every time I hear it). 

I would have had Boo third. Came off as cool and different but also very messy.  I would have had Crown on top, BD, then Bloo/SCV very close for silver. Also thought Cavaliers were pushed up. 

1. BD

2. Crown (perc...)

3. Scv

4. Coats

Also I think it is worth mentioning Crown has great Guard and Brass.  I think in comparison to recent years Crown was iffy when it claims to cleanliness in the hornline-just like the last two years.  Crown still has a fabulous hornline, but it has dropped *slightly*  in quality since the 2009-2013 era.  Their drill and visual has done the same, guard is fantastic but their drill has *slightly* decreased in difficulty.  I think that affects them in score.  Percussion....

Edited by BoaDci

19 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

Wow 

Yeah, wow. There are open class corps that marched cleaner. I couldn't even pick out a cohesive marching style. The feet are seriously, seriously dirty, and I honestly can't figure out how they placed so high visually.