Oregon Crusaders 2017

3 hours ago, PurpleKnights said:

Newsflash... rule changes like this are like attempts to use a defibrillator on an activity that is DYING. The activity isn't under attack by 'bandos,' it's crumbling due to disinterest, cost, and the success of alternatives. Embrace changes that make it easy to get more horn players on the field or get used to six or seven world-class corps touring together in psuedo-exhibition, forever. And yes, I know the OC thing is a joke.

I'm not sure recruitment issues had all that much to do with changes in instrumentation and since 2014 I have not noticed a decrease in attendance at the shows I attend, nor have I noticed a big decrease in competing corps. Cost is a factor in drum corps today, but not trombones, concert French horns, or Sousaphones. 

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

I'm at an open class camp as I write this - but if you want to grow the activity, you might want to find something to do with the staggering amount of drummers there are - far more drummers per spot than brass.

Been that way for a long time.  Not sure what you could possibly do about it except teach them to play brass (or stop letting half the 4th graders choose that snare drum for instrumental lessons).  

6 hours ago, Ghost said:

Not yet 88, but there are thousands who have left.  I'll stick around for awhile longer.  Once woodwinds get voted in, there might be thousands more  who leave.

The "one down" was not in reference to you leaving the activity behind. It was about you not clicking the link to get the full story. 

• Like 6

The SOUSAS!  The SOUSAS are attacking.... :)

Actually, OC did a great thing by posting this picture ---- they propelled themselves to the top of a drum corps forum, got people talking, raised eyebrows, and, alas, brought attention to themselves.  For a PR standpoint, that is a phenomenal move on their part!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

The "one down" was not in reference to you leaving the activity behind. It was about you not clicking the link to get the full story. 

Well, they got me on that one.  Reading that post was enough for me, so I didn't learn that OC was trying out some possible April fools stories.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2017 at 2:11 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

Enya was used in Crown 1995, Pioneer 1995, and Glassmen 2008, so I don't think there's anything wrong with getting licensing rights for her music.

Crossmen 1994 as well. I'd LOVE to hear that piece again.

On 1/15/2017 at 8:33 AM, PurpleKnights said:

it's crumbling due to disinterest, cost, and the success of alternatives.

Can someone provide evidence of interest in DCI "crumbling"? Open-class corps are turning away kids at auditions, for goodness' sake.

And by "evidence," I will disallow the introduction of Exhibits A through ZZ -- all the corps that have folded in the past 50 years. I'm talking about right now, today, with the corps that are actually alive and breathing. What evidence is there to indicate young people have lost interest in the corps that are currently open for business?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Can someone provide evidence of interest in DCI "crumbling"? Open-class corps are turning away kids at auditions, for goodness' sake.

And by "evidence," I will disallow the introduction of Exhibits A through ZZ -- all the corps that have folded in the past 50 years. I'm talking about right now, today, with the corps that are actually alive and breathing. What evidence is there to indicate young people have lost interest in the corps that are currently open for business?

Evidence doesn't mean anything anymore. As long as you firmly believe your opinion, that's the truth (whether it actually is or not). 

Looking at evidence like audition turnouts, and the amount of startup groups in DCI, WGI, etc. I'd say the activity is experiencing unprecedented growth. 

On 1/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, Tim K said:

I'm not sure recruitment issues had all that much to do with changes in instrumentation and since 2014 I have not noticed a decrease in attendance at the shows I attend, nor have I noticed a big decrease in competing corps. Cost is a factor in drum corps today, but not trombones, concert French horns, or Sousaphones. 

While we are on the subject (sort of) of recruiting, and specifically to OC since this is their thread, does anyone know if they've been having recruiting issues in both brass and guard?  The reason I ask is because both numbers seemed a bit low the past year or two.  If I remember correctly, OC was at one point fielding 80 horns and was at about 64 last year, and guard was somewhere around 18-20 two years ago and increased a bit last year, but still not full guard (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on these ... my memory is sh#t).  Are the Cascades pulling away any members that would otherwise go to OC?

Edited by Musicman1084

3 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

While we are on the subject (sort of) of recruiting, and specifically to OC since this is their thread, does anyone know if they've been having recruiting issues in both brass and guard?  The reason I ask is because both numbers seemed a bit low the past year or two.  If I remember correctly, OC was at one point fielding 80 horns and was at about 64 last year, and guard was somewhere around 18-20 two years ago and increased a bit last year, but still not full guard (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on these ... my memory is sh#t).  Are the Cascades pulling away any members that would otherwise go to OC?

Brass line numbers since 2010
2010: 36
2011: 56

2012: 64

2013: 64

2014: 80

2015: 72

2016: 72

Color Guard

2010: 12

2011: 20

2012: 28