2017 Uniform Thread

17 hours ago, xandandl said:

I thought you wanted to wear the black one with the extra pocket near the shoulder blade.

Of course ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I tried out for the drum major position at Southwind, but I got cut because I'm only 15. It's only a matter of time though...

On 2/10/2017 at 1:53 PM, drummergirl said:

I was recently shuttling some members to and from the airport and and corps winter camp. The conversation turned to the new uniform the corps is expected to get for this season. The member who is a multi-year vet said they just wanted more  spandex in the pants so that they could do the visuals that staff wants. Last season they had difficulty and ripped a lot of pants as a result. 

it's why i think we're going to see a lot of corps transition to bloo-style "uniforms" in the very near future

people got mad at me for suggesting it, but with what they're being asked to do on the field, it makes sense to me

doesn't mean i like it, either

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I am all for uniforms that restrict dance & body movements.

Traditional constructed uniforms can be cut to allow good movement.  And they are good bit more durable than then 2yr life span of the modern   The wash and wear stuff sure is easier to deal for cleaning though, that's for sure.  As for Bloo's dancewear -- it's really not that big a leap from where corps were already.  Crown was wearing spandex pants for how many years.  And plenty of corps have marched no headwear.   Still is you're going to march an entire corps of guard members -- you might start getting judged as if they were guard.  And that would be a big paradigm shift.

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

Still is you're going to march an entire corps of guard members -- you might start getting judged as if they were guard.  And that would be a big paradigm shift.

Your comment cited has been explored in DCi (maybe DCP) several times in decades past. Cf. Garfield Cadets 1986 where hornline was the color guard or 2011 Angels and Demons when hornline was all battling on shortened flag poles sans flags. Other units (Troopers I think) had everyone on hand held flags for one percussion feature; and the corps that had the guard all on spinning white rifles originally had most of the corps spinning weapons but that was dropped in ST.  In the '70's the debate was what if every element of the corps was simultaneously on finger cymbals (a major California corps' possibility) would the whole corps be judged on the percussion sheet? Back then the rules seem to point that if one member played a percussion instrument at one point of the show, they would be considered on that sheet for the whole show.  The Cali corps dropped the idea. Now that can be made to sound like the whole corps once electronics are used.

Just shows that if you keep a suit in the closet long enough, it will come back in fashion. The more things change, the more they stay the same.  plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

6 hours ago, DawsonBurnes said:

Of course ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I tried out for the drum major position at Southwind, but I got cut because I'm only 15. It's only a matter of time though...

PR once had a 15 year old conductor who forgot he was but the assistant. Didn't work out for him or the corps; in fact they sent him home mid-tour and eventually lost a corps director in the process. Since then, PR has included "humility" as a major component of their conductors, like in Will, Dean, and David.

Keep practicing. If it's meant to be you will make it.

21 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Your comment cited has been explored in DCi (maybe DCP) several times in decades past. Cf. Garfield Cadets 1986 where hornline was the color guard or 2011 Angels and Demons when hornline was all battling on shortened flag poles sans flags. Other units (Troopers I think) had everyone on hand held flags for one percussion feature; and the corps that had the guard all on spinning white rifles originally had most of the corps spinning weapons but that was dropped in ST.  In the '70's the debate was what if every element of the corps was simultaneously on finger cymbals (a major California corps' possibility) would the whole corps be judged on the percussion sheet? Back then the rules seem to point that if one member played a percussion instrument at one point of the show, they would be considered on that sheet for the whole show.  The Cali corps dropped the idea. Now that can be made to sound like the whole corps once electronics are used.

Just shows that if you keep a suit in the closet long enough, it will come back in fashion. The more things change, the more they stay the same.  plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

There's very little comparison to the role playing in 2011 and the direction the Bluecoats (and few others) appear to be heading.  We'll just have to wait and see if they continue down that path or veer off.  

Edited by corpsband

6 hours ago, ilovecheese said:

Helmet? You mean a shako?

No