2017 Uniform Thread

4 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Of course, in 2004, Jersey Surf squashed this false dichotomy between hats on and hatless.

Image result for photos  of jersey surf drum corps, 2004

" a hunk, a hunk of burning love", right here ?

My personal hope is that we continue to see headgear-in all its diversity-in 2017.  I understand the preference for going hatless in the indoor activity.  The audiences are up close and personal (as are the judges) and the performers need to be able to emote to them as part of their performance.  Large stadiums are different altogether, however.  Whether they be open air like Allentown or enclosed like Lucas Oil, the audiences (and most of the judges) are too far away in either case for that kind of visual intimacy.

In addition, as a visual person I like the "uniformity" that most headwear achieves.  I cannot imagine SCV, for example, being nearly as badazz without their Aussies. Same for Cadets...same for...actually everyone. Heck, I even like Crown's whatever they are.   I do hope the Bluecoats' approach was a one off design choice, but BRASSO is probably correct in that it could be the start of a trend.

As we know, that which is rewarded by DCI is perpetuated.  And before anybody asks, no, I have no idea what BAC is doing this year in this regard.  :)

1 minute ago, craiga said:

My personal hope is that we continue to see headgear-in all its diversity-in 2017.  I understand the preference for going hatless in the indoor activity.  The audiences are up close and personal (as are the judges) and the performers need to be able to emote to them as part of their performance.  Large stadiums are different altogether, however.  Whether they be open air like Allentown or enclosed like Lucas Oil, the audiences (and most of the judges) are too far away in either case for that kind of visual intimacy.

In addition, as a visual person I like the "uniformity" that most headwear achieves.  I cannot imagine SCV, for example, being nearly as badazz without their Aussies. Same for Cadets...same for...actually everyone. Heck, I even like Crown's whatever they are.   I do hope the Bluecoats' approach was a one off design choice, but BRASSO is probably correct in that it could be the start of a trend.

As we know, that which is rewarded by DCI is perpetuated.  And before anybody asks, no, I have no idea what BAC is doing this year in this regard.  :)

You make excellent points.

But in this narcissistic age that is contemporary culture with its emphasis more on personal wants and desires, many of those in the Fine Arts, including the Marching Arts, find conformity, uniformity, loyalty, and fidelity to one (corps) not the priority of their philosophies compared to the self-escalation of ME!!! 

Even look at the podium people. Do they really need to remove the hat in order to conduct well?  No, it is self-emphasis and adulation. They are not more clearly seen against the thousands in the audience behind them.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

You make excellent points.

But in this narcissistic age that is contemporary culture with its emphasis more on personal wants and desires, many of those in the Fine Arts, including the Marching Arts, find conformity, uniformity, loyalty, and fidelity to one (corps) not the priority of their philosophies compared to the self-escalation of ME!!! 

Even look at the podium people. Do they really need to remove the hat in order to conduct well?  No, it is self-emphasis and adulation. They are not more clearly seen against the thousands in the audience behind them.

It all comes down to if it is going to be a group-focused show vs. a performer-focused show... and both can work.  Bluecoats' hatless approach worked last year because the show was written to be performer focused.  There was emphasis on soloist and small groups, both visually and in the music, thus the lack of headgear worked in parallel with that, bringing the individual into focus.  On the contrary, Crown focused more on the group as a whole, thus the headgear stayed on, giving them a more uniform look and taking the focus off of the individual and instead widening it to encompass the entire corps.  When there was a soloist in focus, however, the hat came off, bringing the individual into focus, but only when it was necessary.

Both approaches worked for their respective shows.  However, had crown used no headgear the entire time and Bluecoats had worn something for their show, I think both shows would have lost something.  Instead, the way both did it worked because the purpose of the headgear (or lack thereof) fit the purpose and writing of the show.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, xandandl said:

Yes, conductors should remove headwear when directing musical ensembles.

Not only is this traditionally part of the craft, I believe many in the ensemble benefit from the delivery of emotion and artistic interpretation via facial expressions.

2 minutes ago, JAZZER said:

Not only is this traditionally part of the craft, I believe many in the ensemble benefit from the delivery of emotion and artistic interpretation via facial expressions.

Especially when the DM frowns at a section or forces the mm to read their lips.

On 2/14/2017 at 0:33 PM, flammaster said:

This year has to be a BD/SCV tie.

As much as I want SCV to win, and I'd even be ok with a BD/SCV tie, I did some research and unfortunately that can't happen. It turns out that both BD and SCV are based in a region commonly known as the Bay Area, and this roughly means that they're each going to have fantastic seasons, but ultimately lose by blowing a 3-1 lead come Finals.  :tongue:

I'll see myself out.

• Like 1