2017 Uniform Thread

Cadet's have appeared to 'cave' to the costume trend.  And from the sound of it, had plans to do it a year or so ago.

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I liked even more the BD uniforms with spats.

Spats! Did someone say spats?! BD wore the cheapie bando spats though. Scouts wore real authentic Navy spats. I hated lacing them up but loved wearing them.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe Madison sourced them from the Navy.

18 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Cadet's have appeared to 'cave' to the costume trend.  And from the sound of it, had plans to do it a year or so ago.

I heard a little chatter about that a few years ago as well...I know there is a lot of dissent about this issue...In terms of brand identity....I'm curious if folks think that changing to costumes dilutes the brand of the corps? I am not specifically referring to The Cadets...but just corps in general... Will something else other than the uniform make that brand identity specific? Colors in some cases seem important? Are corps colors more important than uniform type and how does that affect the corps brand identity? 

For myself personally...I think the colors are most important...style of uniforms important...I'm on the fence in terms of brand dilution though...although using Boston as an example...I've seen their past uniforms on other units....Battalion for example...

45 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Make that several decades ago.

Cesario in the 80's when he was on Cadets staff stopped GH from changing it. GH wanted something relaxed and less expensive like the Crossmen uniform he wore. The conversation wasn't in private but on a corps bus going to a contest when staff still rode with the MMs.  Alumni heard about it and have fumed and resisted Hopkins on this ever since, particularly as GH is neither a veteran of the US military nor veteran of the Cadets; to him it was just fabric. I personally heard the conversation.

As the chameleon corps (Star,Crown, Bloo,), WGI trends and uniform companies have steered the direction of the activity toward the gym suits and pajamas, in desperation to regain the top, Allentown has also caved.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, xandandl said:

As the chameleon corps (Star,Crown, Bloo,), WGI trends and uniform companies have steered the direction of the activity toward the gym suits and pajamas, in desperation to regain the top, Allentown has also caved.

Well yeah... it's the direction the activity is going.  Ten, twenty years from now this will be the norm, and the traditional West Point style Cadet uniform would stick out like a sore thumb if it was still around.

Everything changes. You can fight against it, resist it all you want... but you will eventually lose.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Well yeah... it's the direction the activity is going.  Ten, twenty years from now this will be the norm, and the traditional West Point style Cadet uniform would stick out like a sore thumb if it was still around.

Everything changes. You can fight against it, resist it all you want... but you will eventually lose.

i don't agree.

Being unique certainly has its merits.

Troopers have proved themselves special and unique, although few folks outside that area of the country wear cowboy hats.

27th Lancers wore both a formal looking and relaxed uniform which was certainly a costume for the music they played. If still in physical flesh with us today, would they have to change to gym suits and pajamas too?

I don't agree that the activity will necessarily be with us in a dozen or more years. Not with the birth rates, world politics, and inflation costs.

Edited by xandandl

10 minutes ago, xandandl said:

i don't agree.

Being unique certainly has its merits.

Troopers have proved themselves special and unique, although few folks outside that area of the country wear cowboy hats.

27th Lancers wore both a formal looking and relaxed uniform which was certainly a costume for the music they played. If still in physical flesh with us today, would they have to change to gym suits and pajamas too?

I don't agree that the activity will necessarily be with us in a dozen or more years. Not with the birth rates, world politics, and inflation costs.

I think it will be with us but in a very different form than the past.I think we are seeing some signs of it already.

AS to 27th...Yes I do believe they would have done what was necessary to be current in 2017 or what works for a show today verses the past.

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, chaddyt said:

Sounds to me that the big story here however is that the Cadets " responded to " their influential financial alums and other donors who collectively, almost to a person, were not happy that the Corps ditched their 80 year Corps colors and instead went with the all Blacks. PR took a big hit with that decision. BUT... give the Cadets credit for recognizing that faux pas, and have returned to their senses and to their traditional Corps Colors in whatever modern look costuming they decide to go out with this season.

Edited by BRASSO