2017 Uniform Thread

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Who would have guessed that back in the 1980's that the Velvet Knights Corps costuming would be 35 years ahead of its time ? That the Velvet Knights.. whom we all chuckled with for such wacky brazenness in costuming at the time.... that today such outfits, and sneakers, etc would be considered a stupendous innovation, to be taken oh so SERIOUSLY now ( haha!) Blue Devils, SCV, Cadets, Phantom Regiment and most DCI Corps organizations sort of looked down on VK at the time, poo pooed their attire (that they considered disrespectful, wacky, outlandish.. and worse) but now, 30-35 years later are all coming around to the notion that pajamas, and outlandish looking attire are a SERIOUS uniform innovation. Who knew ? ( haha!)

Funny, had the same thought the other day.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LabMaster said:

That's a lot of corps getting new uniforms.  I don't think that many will have new unis.  I'm thinking more along the lines of a lot of enhancements via adds/deletes to current unis.

Well many of the uniforms aren't really made to add show-related elements. I'm just guessing new because of trends (new unis every year) and amount of years the uniforms have been in use

1 hour ago, DawsonBurnes said:

Well many of the uniforms aren't really made to add show-related elements. I'm just guessing new because of trends (new unis every year) and amount of years the uniforms have been in use

I agree to an extent about enhancing existing uniforms with show related elements but designers can be sufficiently creative.  Not all corps haves the budget for new unis every year and I am sure although there are deals to be made with suppliers, there aren't many if any fully free deals. Many corps are on cycles for uniform change outs.  Not knowing for sure, to do something like that means the initial uni design is designed and made for short term usage that a WC corps would put them through.  Some corps are fortunate to be able to resell them, but I imagine that 's hard to do given unique identities groups have or want to have.  A group buying a previously used set of unis, imo, would want to be sure they were cared for appropriately so they might last until they were ready to make a buy of a specific uniform for their org.  It is a big investment.

20 hours ago, xandandl said:

Make that several decades ago.

Cesario in the 80's when he was on Cadets staff stopped GH from changing it. GH wanted something relaxed and less expensive like the Crossmen uniform he wore. The conversation wasn't in private but on a corps bus going to a contest when staff still rode with the MMs.  Alumni heard about it and have fumed and resisted Hopkins on this ever since, particularly as GH is neither a veteran of the US military nor veteran of the Cadets; to him it was just fabric. I personally heard the conversation.

As the chameleon corps (Star,Crown, Bloo,), WGI trends and uniform companies have steered the direction of the activity toward the gym suits and pajamas, in desperation to regain the top, Allentown has also caved.

There was a corps years ago that made a change in their uniform, adding black to the back of their cadet top.  From MM reaction you would have thought a family member had been sacrificed.  It was at the time a tough pill to swallow for many, but it was done and a favorable outcome resulted, paving the way for more updating/enhancements, necessary to keep up with changing times.  The world actually did not stop rotating.

There was also another more significant change to a uniform in a section of the guard, that was met with huge resistance as well, which has since become an iconic look for the guard section that became a major feature of the corps at the time.  Their success reinvigorated a lot of other guards and guard significance at the time.

• Like 1

I see these changes to the "costume" to meet the new visual demands and expectations of body movement to get the high visual and GE scores.  As much as I adore the Cadet's very traditional uniform, it does not lend itself to this type of movement.  All of the body movement last season to me looked forced and awkward because shakos with long plumes and cummerbunds with a sash just don't work with dance.  It literally looked at times like military servicemen caught trying to bust a move in private.  I don't mean that as an insult to anyone, it just isn't elegant.     

I too wish that a corps could go out there and play their @@@ off and march like nobody's business but that will not win anymore by itself.  

The shows now that are winning are FAR more visual than the Cadets' championship shows.  

I'm excited about a return maroon and gold for the Cadets and wonder what the other corps will come up with as well.

My 2 cents. 

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

There was a corps years ago that made a change in their uniform, adding black to the back of their cadet top.  From MM reaction you would have thought a family member had been sacrificed.  It was at the time a tough pill to swallow for many, but it was done and a favorable outcome resulted, paving the way for more updating/enhancements, necessary to keep up with changing times.  The world actually did not stop rotating.

There was also another more significant change to a uniform in a section of the guard, that was met with huge resistance as well, which has since become an iconic look for the guard section that became a major feature of the corps at the time.  Their success reinvigorated a lot of other guards and guard significance at the time.

Yes, I was around when Boston did that. The jokes at the time from the other corps ranged from "they ran out of red fabric" to "now you'll be able to see the blood on the unis from the fights in the lot."  I do recall that since the back matched the pants, it did make the members look taller when they turned backfield. This was part of the publicized reasoning when the Cavaliers did it decades later. It also gave an unusual effect when one flank turned about before or alternately with the others.

As we all mark time until the Indy opener (or Ohio for BAC), only time will tell whether these are wise decisions or merely novelties.

1 hour ago, Wadep66 said:

I see these changes to the "costume" to meet the new visual demands and expectations of body movement to get the high visual and GE scores.  As much as I adore the Cadet's very traditional uniform, it does not lend itself to this type of movement.  All of the body movement last season to me looked forced and awkward because shakos with long plumes and cummerbunds with a sash just don't work with dance.  It literally looked at times like military servicemen caught trying to bust a move in private.  I don't mean that as an insult to anyone, it just isn't elegant.     

I too wish that a corps could go out there and play their @@@ off and march like nobody's business but that will not win anymore by itself.  

The shows now that are winning are FAR more visual than the Cadets' championship shows.  

I'm excited about a return maroon and gold for the Cadets and wonder what the other corps will come up with as well.

My 2 cents. 

I'm noting that you speak of dance as a good thing.

6 hours ago, xandandl said:

Yes, I was around when Boston did that. The jokes at the time from the other corps ranged from "they ran out of red fabric" to "now you'll be able to see the blood on the unis from the fights in the lot."  I do recall that since the back matched the pants, it did make the members look taller when they turned backfield. This was part of the publicized reasoning when the Cavaliers did it decades later. It also gave an unusual effect when one flank turned about before or alternately with the others.

As we all mark time until the Indy opener (or Ohio for BAC), only time will tell whether these are wise decisions or merely novelties.

You were around Boston then? Were you teaching?  There was a bit of drama about it then wasn't there?  Seemed at the very least radical to some and downright blasphemous to others.  So absurd looking back at it and seeing what is done today?

3 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

You were around Boston then? Were you teaching?  There was a bit of drama about it then wasn't there?  Seemed at the very least radical to some and downright blasphemous to others.  So absurd looking back at it and seeing what is done today?

not in Bahston but with corps who competed against them. I did judges training in Boston.