2017 Uniform Thread

With the announcement of Blue Stars' show, "Star Crossed," what would their uniform look like? The sleeve, the panel on the chest, and the fabric hanging from the hip would all change to fit the show. What sort of material would be used to substitute the Spongebob flowers?

55 minutes ago, DawsonBurnes said:

With the announcement of Blue Stars' show, "Star Crossed," what would their uniform look like? The sleeve, the panel on the chest, and the fabric hanging from the hip would all change to fit the show. What sort of material would be used to substitute the Spongebob flowers?

All speculation at this point, since "Star Crossed" may mean Romeo and Juliet, but could be something different altogether.

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

All speculation at this point, since "Star Crossed" may mean Romeo and Juliet, but could be something different altogether.

So long as its not a controversial satirical show on the '93 Star of Indiana, I should be fine with the theme. ( Oh.. just goofin' around this morning..haha)

21 hours ago, xandandl said:

I'm noting that you speak of dance as a good thing.

Hmm, don't see where I imply that.   

However, when you look at all the movement that Bluecoats did last year and what Crown has been doing for several years, it sure appears to me that it is expected for high visual scores.  It's not going away.  

29 minutes ago, Wadep66 said:

However, when you look at all the movement that Bluecoats did last year and what Crown has been doing for several years, it sure appears to me that it is expected for high visual scores.  It's not going away.  

Agree. The expected new costuming that several units will be utilizing this season allows the performer dance moves to be more easily and more efficiently performed and executed.

52 minutes ago, Wadep66 said:

Well you don't need to go to jammies to get freedom of movement.  Heck look at what Bloo did during Creep (with much more conventional uniforms).  ((Used the transposed version because it starts from actual beginning -- not the first note)  Using the playground equipment is what dictated the Coats choices in 2016.  You don't want uniform pieces catching where they're not supposed to and headwear obviously would be a problem.  Plenty of freedom of movement can be found even in uniforms that look more traditional.  It's all about fabric and construction.  No one needs to go to jammies.

Edited by corpsband

7 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Well you don't need to go to jammies to get freedom of movement.  Heck look at what Bloo did during Creep (with much more conventional uniforms).  ((Used the transposed version because it starts from actual beginning -- not the first note)

I wonder how many uniforms they tore through to pull that off. 

Maybe it's just because the uniforms I've worn are extremely uncomfortable to move in and I'm projecting that onto the Coats '11 uniforms, but if that was me out there I'd be cursing the thing from the first second the show starts. They pulled it off, sure, but I can't imagine it felt very good to be straining against the fabric the whole time. I sort of open myself up to the whole "drum corps isn't about comfort!!" thing, but it gets to a point where it's silly to expect performers to do something and give them uniforms that don't work well for the job. I've seen people in uniforms so stiff that they literally had to fake taking a knee because the uniform they were in was too constraining for them to actually take a knee.

Lighter and more flexible fabric? Sure. An interesting issue to note-- a lot of those fabrics wouldn't be light colors (goodbye maroon and cream). Having a light, bright fabric tends to make it.... slightly transparent. Several corps already use leotards under their uniforms to disguise the fact that if they didn't, you would very clearly be able to see the outlines of everyone's skivvies and socks through the pants since they contrast so much with their tan legs.

15 minutes ago, aLittleBird said:

I wonder how many uniforms they tore through to pull that off. 

Maybe it's just because the uniforms I've worn are extremely uncomfortable to move in and I'm projecting that onto the Coats '11 uniforms, but if that was me out there I'd be cursing the thing from the first second the show starts. They pulled it off, sure, but I can't imagine it felt very good to be straining against the fabric the whole time. I sort of open myself up to the whole "drum corps isn't about comfort!!" thing, but it gets to a point where it's silly to expect performers to do something and give them uniforms that don't work well for the job. I've seen people in uniforms so stiff that they literally had to fake taking a knee because the uniform they were in was too constraining for them to actually take a knee.

Lighter and more flexible fabric? Sure. An interesting issue to note-- a lot of those fabrics wouldn't be light colors (goodbye maroon and cream). Having a light, bright fabric tends to make it.... slightly transparent. Several corps already use leotards under their uniforms to disguise the fact that if they didn't, you would very clearly be able to see the outlines of everyone's skivvies and socks through the pants since they contrast so much with their tan legs.

You're talking about conventionally constructed uniforms.  Uniforms companies still sell them because a lot of HS programs still want their uniforms to last 10 years.  The alternative is a uniform that lasts maybe two or three years but is machine washable and has a great deal more give in the fabrics.   All this is nothing new -- those wash and wear uniforms have been around for quite some time now.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, corpsband said:

You're talking about conventionally constructed uniforms.  Uniforms companies still sell them because a lot of HS program still want their uniforms to last 10 years.  The alternative is a uniform that lasts maybe two or three years but is machine washable and has a great deal more give in the fabrics.   All this is nothing new -- those wash and wear uniforms have been around for quite some time now.

Fair's fair. I don't know a whole lot about band tailoring I'm afraid-- only that my personal experience gives me anxiety attacks every time I hear cloth tearing in my day-to-day ;)

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the Cadets reinvention.  I'm glad they're keeping the colors - that's a nice bridge between the old and the new.

With the little corps I've been involved with this season, I've had kind of a glimpse of how these decisions get made.  For corps that can't afford new full uniforms every three years, or have the people-power to keep tailoring them as the members lose weight all summer, or try to design shows that highlight athleticism rather than try to shield it, there are pretty logical reasons these days to look at non-traditional gear. 

Mike

• Like 1