2017 Uniform Thread

2 hours ago, dcibrando said:

I believe WGI shows have morphed into DCI... have to dress like them, dance like them, etc. to be competitive... but I'm not sure why.  To each their own style which is fine but I thought GE was more than just spandex and body movement? (or is it?)

While on the topic of that, I'd like to point out how most finalist corps have themed uniforms, and many (if not most) non-finalist corps don't. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, but it seems to me it's almost essential to have a themed uniform or else you won't do as well. That's pretty odd, considering some corps don't have the kind of money to do that. Of course, music and marching are important (the Cadets are a good example), but it seems that GE is becoming more prevelant nowadays. Heck, the Bluecoats won the DCI championships last year and they only had one best caption award: GE. Crown had Brass, Guard, and Visual. 

I might be looking a bit too much into this, but DCI seems to have become a bit more discriminatory. The separation of World and Open class, themed uniforms, etc. 

1 hour ago, DawsonBurnes said:

but it seems that GE is becoming more prevelant nowadays. Heck, the Bluecoats won the DCI championships last year and they only had one best caption award: GE. Crown had Brass, Guard, and Visual.  

MEMO to BRASSO:  Please do not reply to DB's comments with your over used paragraph of how "it's all about the visuals and GE".  Thank you.

Edited by Ghost

1 hour ago, DawsonBurnes said:

While on the topic of that, I'd like to point out how most finalist corps have themed uniforms, and many (if not most) non-finalist corps don't. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, but it seems to me it's almost essential to have a themed uniform or else you won't do as well. That's pretty odd, considering some corps don't have the kind of money to do that. Of course, music and marching are important (the Cadets are a good example), but it seems that GE is becoming more prevelant nowadays. Heck, the Bluecoats won the DCI championships last year and they only had one best caption award: GE. Crown had Brass, Guard, and Visual. 

I might be looking a bit too much into this, but DCI seems to have become a bit more discriminatory. The separation of World and Open class, themed uniforms, etc. 

It's definitely not Do-And-You'll-Make-It, Don't-And-You-Won't. Obviously OC would have made the Saturday night show if the former was the case.

But ya, a themed uniform is definitely going to add to GE and visual in at least some way, and all those points do add up. Take there edge where you can get it, right?

Honest question: can you think of any show from any year where a previous year's uniform would have negatively impacted the show? My immediate thought is that any Bluecoats uniform prior to '16 would have detracted from the '16 production.

15 minutes ago, ouooga said:

It's definitely not Do-And-You'll-Make-It, Don't-And-You-Won't. Obviously OC would have made the Saturday night show if the former was the case.

But ya, a themed uniform is definitely going to add to GE and visual in at least some way, and all those points do add up. Take there edge where you can get it, right?

Honest question: can you think of any show from any year where a previous year's uniform would have negatively impacted the show? My immediate thought is that any Bluecoats uniform prior to '16 would have detracted from the '16 production.

Honest answer: nope. 

Here's an example of where no themed uniforms didn't prevent a corps from doing well. The Cadet's 2015 show "The Power of Ten" is one of my all time favorites. The closest thing they had to a themed uniform was their neon guard uniforms (neon is the 10th element on the periodic table). Obviously themed uniforms aren't the deciding factor as to whether a show wins or not, but it's still a prevelant factor (one thing that helped them in that category though was the drill. The drill with the 10 person pyramids, X formations, etc.). But I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that (for example) if there are two corps that perform equally well in music, visual, etc. and one has a themed uniform and the other doesn't, the one with the themed uniform will get higher GE scores. 

Of course I'm not a DCI judge, so I'm not going to act like what I say is fact or not. But this is what I've seen in recent years. 

Edited by DawsonBurnes
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DawsonBurnes said:

Honest answer: nope. 

Here's an example of where no themed uniforms didn't prevent a corps from doing well. The Cadet's 2015 show "The Power of Ten" is one of my all time favorites. The closest thing they had to a themed uniform was their neon guard uniforms (neon is the 10th element on the periodic table). Obviously themed uniforms aren't the deciding factor as to whether a show wins or not, but it's still a prevelant factor (one thing that helped them in that category though was the drill. The drill with the 10 person pyramids, X formations, etc.). But I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that (for example) if there are two corps that perform equally well in music, visual, etc. and one has a themed uniform and the other doesn't, the one with the themed uniform will get higher GE scores. 

Of course I'm not a DCI judge, so I'm not going to act like what I say is fact or not. But this is what I've seen in recent years. 

Power of Ten is a good example of asking if the juice is worth the squeeze. That's a show where I never thought the black uniforms added anything. It's a unique case, because we can actually compare the show in both the themed uniform and the traditional uniform.

I agree completely with the bolded sentence. Even if it's a .1 difference, championships have been won by smaller margins. Why would a corps want to risk leaving that extra oomph on the table, right?

25 minutes ago, ouooga said:

I agree completely with the bolded sentence. Even if it's a .1 difference, championships have been won by smaller margins. Why would a corps want to risk leaving that extra oomph on the table, right?

Very true. But back to what I said in the original post, some corps might not have the funds for it. I like themed uniforms. As long as they are more reminiscent of a uniform and not a costume (I'm looking at you, Bloo), and you can tell what corps it is, I'm fine. I like non themed uniforms as well (Scouts, Cadets (Maroon and gold), Phantom 2006, etc.), but of course they won't be received as well GE-wise.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ghost said:

MEMO to BRASSO:  Please do not reply to DB's comments with your over used paragraph of how "it's all about the visuals and GE".  Thank you.

Just for you Spirit, consider it done.

On 3/27/2017 at 10:37 AM, ouooga said:

Yep.

'87 SCV uniform would have negatively impacted '88 IMO

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JAZZER said:

Yep.

'87 SCV uniform would have negatively impacted '88 IMO

Also, Colts '82 uniform would have negatively impacted their Short jacket eras.

Also, early spiked helmet era of Glassmen would have negatively impacted their top ten finalist years. 

Does your question specifically ask for ANY previous year uniform, or just one year previous? My SCV answer follows the latter, your Bluecoats example cites any previous, so I'm unclear.

Good question either way!

On 3/27/2017 at 11:37 AM, ouooga said:

PRETTY sure the '76 Bridgemen show would have been negatively impacted by the '75 Bridgemen unis..

History_Bmen75.jpg

Edited by gak27
Pic vs. link