2017 Uniform Thread

10 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Star of Indiana 1993 simply would not have communicated as well using any prior Star uniform.

I agree with this. The bright red white and blue in the original uniform wouldn't have worked well with the style of show Barber and Bartok was (and don't get me started on the pink). 

Bur maybe we're biased because the '93 uniforms were so much cooler than the ones preceding that. Nobody probably would've batted an eye until they brought in the new uniforms. After all, they did change uniforms mid season (I'm pretty sure). 

But I do agree with you. I love the '93 uniforms. 

Edited by DawsonBurnes

On March 28, 2017 at 2:34 PM, DawsonBurnes said:

That's a good example. But what if the show was more broad and general? Cadets 1990, one of my favorite shows, was "Undiscovered Bernstein." They just played Bernstein. How would that analogy apply to that?

I don't know why Wikipedia has it wrong but 1986 was actually "Undiscovered Bernstein". 1990 was "A Bernstein Celebration". 

Edited by Yorkvillain
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DawsonBurnes said:

I agree with this. The bright red white and blue in the original uniform wouldn't have worked well with the style of show Barber and Bartok was (and don't get me started on the pink). 

Bur maybe we're biased because the '93 uniforms were so much cooler than the ones preceding that. Nobody probably would've batted an eye until they brought in the new uniforms. After all, they did change uniforms mid season (I'm pretty sure). 

Edited by tesmusic

8 hours ago, DawsonBurnes said:

They changed uniforms mid season. The show with the old uniforms was fine as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yorkvillain said:

I don't know why Wikipedia has it wrong but 1986 was actually "Undiscovered Bernstein". 1990 was "A Bernstein Celebration". 

That's weird. I never knew there was a mistake. Thank you for letting me know!

• Like 1

What I don't get is why every corps feels the need to go spandex just because the Bluecoats did and won with it. It's not like more than one corps can win!

What this does show I guess is that points on the sheets dictate what a corps wears, how their shows are designed, even what instruments they play (even if it were cost effective no one would think of still being on G). If the people calling the shots wanted to, they could dock GE points for (say) not having headgear, or not having crisp, military style uniforms. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder what it would take to see a shift in mentality--maybe declining ticket sales or membership.

Edited by Hrothgar15

4 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

What I don't get is why every corps feels the need to go spandex just because the Bluecoats did and won with it. It's not like more than one corps can win!

Is every corps though?  I don't recall seeing anyone post their uniforms yet, seems like everyone is just assuming this shift will happen.  

I certainly hope everyone doesn't go that route.  It worked REALLY well with that show but unless it's designed for a show rather than trying to check off something corps feel is necessary to win it won't go over well AT ALL.  

I like what Brasso said on another thread.  (to the effect of) Some will change to that, some will stay, some will fall in between.  I will like some, I'm sure I'll definitely hate some too.

Regardless, for me personally I don't think a uniform will or could detract from my enjoyment of a show unless it was something absolutely bonkers (and we could have A LOT worse than what Bluecoats had last year).  

Just now, DrumManTx said:

Is every corps though?  I don't recall seeing anyone post their uniforms yet, seems like everyone is just assuming this shift will happen.  

I do believe most will be in spandex and sans headgear, including Santa Clara Vanguard. I could be totally wrong...and I hope I am.

I'm with you though that uniforms don't have a huge impact on my enjoyment of a show (unlike say narration), but they do count for something. I'm sure the members who wear them are affected as well.

Edited by Hrothgar15

5 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

(and we could have A LOT worse than what Bluecoats had last year).  

I liked their uniforms from last year...and I usually considered myself more of leaning towards traditionalist...guess my tastes have changed dramatically over time...

Edited by Liahona