2017 Uniform Thread

41 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

I do believe most will be in spandex and sans headgear, including Santa Clara Vanguard. I could be totally wrong...and I hope I ham.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that the vast majority of Corps in both World Class Division AND Open Class Division will be wearing headgear this season. We will be able to look back at this post of today and see which one of our predictions on headgear proves correct and which was not.

There is no evidence at all to support the contention that the Bluecoats won DCI last summer based upon attire and headgear. Unlike ( for just one example. Irish Step Dancing Competitions) there is no judging caption for " costuming ". Points are not allotted under the current DCI judging sheets, nor subtracted, for a Corps choice of attire and headgear. Corps have won in all manner of costuming and headgear over the years. Some have removed headgear for major portions of shows too, and fared well, and fared poorly. Some Corps change costuming and styles, headgear, every season, others hardly ever, and there is no connection to placements, scores and these attire, headgear choices. The former Empire Statesmen in DCA utilized no headgear for decades in DCA competitions, and fared both well and not so well under their non headgear choice they made for themselves. Their no head gear personal choice had no effect from year to year on their scores and placements. None. So we do have a history to look at here regarding  a no head gear choice in scores and placements...... Also, The Bluecoats won DCI last season principally as a result of their Show Design, and their performance execution in the judged captions, imo.. Will a few more Corps go shakerless this season ?. Sure ( but not" most", as you claim here, in my view ). Will these Corps scores rise or fall based upon the duds they wear on the field, or whether or not we see their hair on their scalp throughout the show ? No. I don't believe so. The current DCI judges are no arbiters of what looks good ( or bad ) in clothing anyway. Heck,  one of the DCI judges 2 years ago was excoriated here and on other social media for the rather disorganized, peculiar, and frumpy attire she chose to wear to work to judge one of the DCI shows out on the field. Do you recall this ? If so, even this DCI judge would probably tell us that she is in no position to judge others attire on the field. Plus, the sheets make no provisions for " attire " as a judged criteria for her and her other colleagues to award points in shows for.

Edited by BRASSO

9 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

I'm with you though that uniforms don't have a huge impact on my enjoyment of a show (unlike say narration), but they do count for something. I'm sure the members who wear them are affected as well.

They are.  My kid's corps is switching this year, and they're absolutely ecstatic about it.

Mike

31 minutes ago, MikeN said:

They are.  My kid's corps is switching this year, and they're absolutely ecstatic about it.

Mike

Lol, I knew this take was coming

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I did too, call me crazy!  lol

you're a giant wgi fan, right?

not surprising at all you'd like more costume-y stuff

please don't think i'm under the illusion that they've been anything but costumes for most corps for decades, but bloo took it to a new level, obviously

the vast majority of fans on here said that 1-2 corps would go in the same direction in a poll i started in august, so this is going to be really intersting

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I respectfully disagree. I believe that the vast majority of Corps in both World Class Division AND Open Class Division will be wearing headgear this season. We will be able to look back at this post of today and see which one of our predictions on headgear proves correct and which was not.

There is no evidence at all to support the contention that the Bluecoats won DCI last summer based upon attire and headgear. Unlike ( for just one example. Irish Step Dancing Competitions) there is no judging caption for " costuming ". Points are not allotted under the current DCI judging sheets, nor subtracted, for a Corps choice of attire and headgear. Corps have won in all manner of costuming and headgear over the years. Some have removed headgear for major portions of shows too, and fared well, and fared poorly. Some Corps change costuming and styles, headgear, every season, others hardly ever, and there is no connection to placements, scores and these attire, headgear choices. The former Empire Statesmen in DCA utilized no headgear for decades in DCA competitions, and fared both well and not so well under their non headgear choice they made for themselves. Their no head gear personal choice had no effect from year to year on their scores and placements. None. So we do have a history to look at here regarding  a no head gear choice in scores and placements...... Also, The Bluecoats won DCI last season principally as a result of their Show Design, and their performance execution in the judged captions, imo.. Will a few more Corps go shakerless this season ?. Sure ( but not" most", as you claim here, in my view ). Will these Corps scores rise or fall based upon the duds they wear on the field, or whether or not we see their hair on their scalp throughout the show ? No. I don't believe so. The current DCI judges are no arbiters of what looks good ( or bad ) in clothing anyway. Heck,  one of the DCI judges 2 years ago was excoriated here and on other social media for the rather disorganized, peculiar, and frumpy attire she chose to wear to work to judge one of the DCI shows out on the field. Do you recall this ? If so, even this DCI judge would probably tell us that she is in no position to judge others attire on the field. Plus, the sheets make no provisions for " attire " as a judged criteria for her and her other colleagues to award points in shows for.

You are quite right about there being no evidence that a " uniform " costume made anyone win BUT there is also no evidence that it didn't help.

Can we really tell how a costume really affects us? How it added or detracted from a production. How a flag color can add to a certain piece of music or make little sense. Often things do affect us that we don't even realize  it. I'm not saying you are wrong here but also not saying it's right. 

Do we have a score on a sheet for costuming ,no you are right but do we have one for  flag color? No we don't but you can bet it's talked about  alot when judging...Just a thought or another possible way to look at it...jmo

I think a traditional uniform probably as of now does not detract from a production ( some will disagree I'm sure ) but does something themed or different add. Sometimes the corps costume doesnt really add to represent the theme but just the  departure from the norm   ( whatever that is..lol )

Edited by GUARDLING

Now that the activity has done the first weekend of its Dayton duties, what outfits wore what outfits that might be coming DCI way? What did you like? Did anyone not wear the spandex pajama/track suit regalia?

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Now that the activity has done the first weekend of its Dayton duties, what outfits wore what outfits that might be coming DCI way? What did you like? Did anyone not wear the spandex pajama/track suit regalia?

Well considering it was colorguard...it was colorguard costuming.    

I loved pretty much everything I saw, lots of incredibly creative and intricate stuff.   I think Juxtaposition in Independent World had my favorite costuming.  

I'm not sure I see Onyx's constant removal and lack of costuming coming though.  Sad to see them retiring from WGI, but they're doing other things.  

Edited by DrumManTx

Hearing that much of the Top 12 is changing unis this year. Be warned.

• Like 1