2017 Uniform Thread

Southwind's looks very nice in person!

• Like 2

On 4/15/2017 at 9:30 AM, xandandl said:

It still amazes me how the costume/uniform companies omit any assurance that their products are manufactured, assembled, produced, and fabrics made in conditions where no human rights are violated. More than one company in the fashion industry has suffered public relations nightmares in the US when it was discovered that child labor was routinely used, basic dignities of worker's human rights were ignored, and near slave conditions under health hazards were common in the fabrication of their products. To my knowledge, only one uniform mfgr. in the activity does all their work in the U.S. and can assure that human rights are maintained according to the standards of our American/Canadian labor.

Usually the age cohort who comprise the MMs of DCI, WGI, and the band circuits are known for their idealism, enthusiasm and sensitivity. But with the push for all the new clothing for 2017, still the mfgrs. and the pro-costume crowd remain silent in their adult world of making money, gaining endorsements, and profitting from lobbyists. Can you imagine with me the United Airlines like press fiasco with all the new outfits this season if even one case of human rights violation is found in their manufacture? It might make the famed pre-DCI I.C. Reveries sit-in seem small in comparison if MMs started refusing to don clothing produced from developing nations not respecting human rights.

Whether spandex or traditional form, here is an opportunity  to forego bad publicity and to affirm human rights. Mfgrs, your silence speaks volumes. .

Stirring up trouble am I?  Oh I admit that, particularly when human lives can be at stake. 

Since you brought up American standards, let me remind you of one that is so often set aside amid all this stoked outrage - "innocent until proven guilty".

By all means, if you have evidence of a specific situation where (as you say) lives are at stake, take the appropriate action.  But until then, spare us the hyperbolic melodrama of alleged abuses by unnamed factories in faraway nations, and the implication of complicity from anyone that does not constantly make warranty/disclaimer statements addressing every last issue you fuss about.

(No animals were harmed in the typing of this post.)

On 4/17/2017 at 11:32 PM, Luke4496 said:

Southwind's looks very nice in person!

Their uniforms always make me think of an interview on Marching Roundtable that I think was Cesario, but I don't remember for sure, so don't quote me on that. Anyway, they were saying it's important to find the balance between intricate details and still having everything seen from the top of the stands. I'm skeptical that all the tiny details of the Southwind uniforms (which I love) will present well to people more than 150 yd away from the field. 

So rambling a little but I was surprised that so many on that other d/c board frequented by youngins were opposed to ditching uniforms.  Many were cool with some corps trying out new looks or having more spandex to allow visuals but they also wanted to retain some of the old look. It was important to them. By now, I should know better than to trust a bunch of old folks telling me what the kids really want, I mean other than Hopkins of course

• Like 4

On 4/19/2017 at 0:21 PM, brassdude6171 said:

Their uniforms always make me think of an interview on Marching Roundtable that I think was Cesario, but I don't remember for sure, so don't quote me on that. Anyway, they were saying it's important to find the balance between intricate details and still having everything seen from the top of the stands. I'm skeptical that all the tiny details of the Southwind uniforms (which I love) will present well to people more than 150 yd away from the field. 

There are some intricate patterns on the uniforms that you might not able to see from far away. But not seeing them doesn't affect the uniform in anyway. The little gray designs on the darker gray won't be very visible from the press box, but you can still see the bright red spiral on the chest. But I hope that everyone that sees it likes it. It's a bit of a change from the more traditional uniforms we had last year, but it's a good change. 

On 4/15/2017 at 6:30 AM, xandandl said:

cowtown said

"...As long as we ignore their human rights record"

[X]  It still amazes me how the costume/uniform companies omit any assurance that their products are manufactured, assembled, produced, and fabrics made in conditions where no human rights are violated. More than one company in the fashion industry has suffered public relations nightmares in the US when it was discovered that child labor was routinely used, basic dignities of worker's human rights were ignored, and near slave conditions under health hazards were common in the fabrication of their products. To my knowledge, only one uniform mfgr. in the activity does all their work in the U.S. and can assure that human rights are maintained according to the standards of our American/Canadian labor.

Usually the age cohort who comprise the MMs of DCI, WGI, and the band circuits are known for their idealism, enthusiasm and sensitivity. But with the push for all the new clothing for 2017, still the mfgrs. and the pro-costume crowd remain silent in their adult world of making money, gaining endorsements, and profitting from lobbyists. Can you imagine with me the United Airlines like press fiasco with all the new outfits this season if even one case of human rights violation is found in their manufacture? It might make the famed pre-DCI I.C. Reveries sit-in seem small in comparison if MMs started refusing to don clothing produced from developing nations not respecting human rights.

Whether spandex or traditional form, here is an opportunity  to forego bad publicity and to affirm human rights. Mfgrs, your silence speaks volumes. .

Stirring up trouble am I?  Oh I admit that, particularly when human lives can be at stake. 

Passover and Easter blessings to all.

Stanbury Uniforms is based in Brookfield, Mo, and all manufacturing (design, patterning, cutting, assembly, shipping) is done at the Brookfield and Milan, Mo facilities. Stanbury's factory is a fully unionized-shop and all fabrics used are US made. None of Stanbury's products nor any of the fabrics used in Stanbury's products are made overseas. The company is also an ESOP. 

Edited by PSeidling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PSeidling said:

Stanbury Uniforms is based in Brookfield, Mo, and all manufacturing (design, patterning, cutting, assembly, shipping) is done at the Brookfield and Milan, Mo facilities. Stanbury's factory is a fully unionized-shop and all fabrics used are US made. None of Stanbury's products nor any of the fabrics used in Stanbury's products are made overseas. The company is also an ESOP. 

And sit up STRAIGHT when you read that :-) 

9 hours ago, PSeidling said:

Thanks Pat. And condolences to you, Jake, and your confreres upon the death of Gary Roberts.

At least in my limited opinion, your company's designs lately have been the better of respecting both traditional and contemporary approaches in this period of paradigm shift for drum corps.

• Like 1